computer randomly shuts down - help

sketchymak

Every so often, maybe twice a day, my computer will shut down of its own accord. It doesn't restart, just shuts-down, and when I turn it back on I don't even get the scan-disk message.

The shut-down may occur when I am in the middle of doing something (grrr!), or when I am way across the room and have no programs running. There is never an error message.

All my drivers seem to be up to date, and all plugs are connected securely. I am running AVG anti-virus, I have Ad-Aware, and Search and Destroy.

I checked the system error messages in computer management, but I really have no idea what they mean. I seem to have quite a few though.

Today I got four system error 102s, and 1 w32time 36 error.

Yesterday was much worse, I can't even count the number of errors. They were: cdrom error #7 (lots), and service control errors #7023 and 7036. These errors occured multiple times in the same second!!

Any clue? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Makyla

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Could be a memory related problem. But first of all check what event triggered the shutdown: go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Event Viewer / System and see what happened at the time of crash.

kof2000

or could be a temperature problem so that your mb will shut it down to prevent damage to ur cpu.

sketchymak

Ok, something new!

I just tried to defragment my drive, but I can't because it says I have errors. It reccomends running scandisk, but I can't find it!

kof2000

right click ur boot drive, properties, tools, choose scandisk, it'll probably ask you to restart the computer. do it.

sketchymak

Found it. Everything went fine. But...

I disabled the automatic shutdown, and a few minutes ago I got a blue screen!

It said:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0X000000D1 (OXBF97AE87, 0X000000FF, 0X00000000, 0XBF97AE87)

win32k.sys - Address BF97AE87, Base at BF800000, DateStamp 3b7de698

Scary!!

sketchymak

I recently formatted, so I would rather not do all of that again.

I checked my memory with mem test and it found no errors.

Should I uninstall and reinstall all my drivers?