Computer running slow... why?

kagerou313

New Member
I have a laptop and a pc here. My laptop has been running fine for 5 years and my PC (a refurb) has been finicky lately... in fact I think it has always run a bit slower than my laptop.

Now, to make this sounds nice and strange, my laptop has a 1.6 Ghz processor and my desktop has a 3.0 Ghz P4. Both have video cards and it would seem that my desktop has newer supplies.

I notice a huge difference in most programs. Games and such that I can play on my laptop are slow on my PC even though it appears to be twice as fast.

Any suggestions for me?
 
1. Download and run CCleaner...I would be willing to bet it needs to be cleaned!

2. When it installs and you open it....select "analyze" at the bottom. Once you get a list...select "run cleaner"

3. After that...highlight "registry" on the left side. Click "scan for issues" then hit "fix selected issues"

4. Then click "tools" on the left side and then click "start-up" select the start up you do not need and disable them. If you are not sure which ones to keep on start up...post a screen shot and we can help you choose which ones are safe to disable:)

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Click on the spot below where it say Filehippo or alternative download. Download it and install it.

5. After that is complete...restart your computer and run "disk Defrag" on your main hard drive.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any issues or questions:)
 
I have a laptop and a pc here. My laptop has been running fine for 5 years and my PC (a refurb) has been finicky lately... in fact I think it has always run a bit slower than my laptop.

Now, to make this sounds nice and strange, my laptop has a 1.6 Ghz processor and my desktop has a 3.0 Ghz P4. Both have video cards and it would seem that my desktop has newer supplies.

I notice a huge difference in most programs. Games and such that I can play on my laptop are slow on my PC even though it appears to be twice as fast.

Any suggestions for me?

What are the rest of the specs on your laptop and desktop, such as memory amount and graphics card?
 
I've been using CCleaner for years now- it's great... but it doesn't seem to fix the problem with my speed.

My PC has a 3.0 ghz p4, 1GB ram and a S9250 Diamond card with 256MB...
I have noticed that a portion of my USB jacks have gone powerless recently. out of the 8 I had operational, now I have 4. Maybe this is a different problem all together though.

As far as the games running slow, here's an example.

I could play a very simple game on my laptop like wolfenstein ET. If I play it on my PC, it hangs at the very beginning. I can't even get to the next area. Others games like second life run slower than molasses.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top