computer set-up!

Bigshow1030

Hey guys......I am wanting to know, when setting up a new computer after you have hooked up all wires, put the cpu and heatsink on the motherboard. and after you have hooked in ram and video card and done all the wiring persay......is there anything you have to do with the bios before putting on your OS, or any test that need to be done? Basically I have a computer setting here that is completely together but doesn't have an operating system or anything on it... I just am not sure if you have to go adjust bios or anything....Plus none of the drivers have been installed of course. The only thing that I do know is that you have got to go in and set it to read from the cd-rom on boot up but other than that that is it. Also, since it has a brand new harddrive in it when I put my windows disk in it will partition and all that crap on the new hard drive wont it?

Thanks for you time
:)

Yeti

VIP Member
Unless you want to overclock the BIOS should set itself for the most part. You can always tweak your memory timings and such but everything should work without adjustment.

As far as installing the OS - yes set the CD to a boot device (I always leave mine as second boot device) and the windows installation should start automatically. You'll have to choose the drive (if theres more than one) and set a partition (or more if you want). Then it will install. There's really not much to it. After OS installation instal your mobo drivers and graphics drivers and you should be set (well you'll have to install sound and ethernet drivers too if those aren't on your mobo).

Bigshow1030

thanks

I just wasn't sure since I have a OEM harddrive if it would even work until I have the proper install for it first......You know like a driver for the harddrive to pick up on the OS? Even if it has a driver????? ;)