Computer stopped starting up

lowcar100

My build is in my sig. It is about 5 years old now and has been fairly reliable until the last couple of days. One time when I started it up it would only get to showing the background and the mouse (which moved) but no icons, no task bar, nothing besides the background and mouse.

After a few restarts it only got to the windows welcome screen, the screen before the background/mouse.

Now, it won't even get to the windows welcome screen. Is a component dying? I've been trying to have this computer hold out until I graduate from college (a few more qtrs) so that I can build another one at that time. So salvaging this computer would be ideal. Plus, I have about 10GBs of music on there that I don't want to lose.

I did nothing unusual on the computer before it started acting up. It is about as "out of the blue" as it gets. I went on all the same trusted sites I've been on for years so I have no clue what is causing this. I would simply reformat but then I would lose all my music which I'd like to avoid.

EDIT - I have windows XP on this computer

Twinbird24

Maybe there's some problems with the hard drive. Can you take the hard drive out and plug in into another computer and then try to back up any files and run CHKDSK.

Do you receive any error messages when you start the computer? Can you start up in same-mode?