computer uses alot of ram?

cell4me

banned
I am brand new to windows xp and I just bought this computer so it has fresh install the only extra programs I have are microsoft antispyware, zonealarm pro, spybot, spywareblaster and avast antivirus! when I enter (ctrl+alt+del) and check system performance it says I am using 190mb of ram and I have seen it as high as 230mb...is this normal if not what can I configure to free up some ram with out shutting down my security programs?

atomic

there are alot of differences lol.....its like asking why is this car faster than that one there is no single answer, its just the way it is

Xenon787

mines at 305 now, am only running firefox, msn, emule.

theres programs behind the scences that have to run.

Its the CPU usage you have to worry about, thats a %. if it gets to 100, programs can **** up, or everything stops for a while. thats rare tho

tweaker

VIP Member
It's all about the tweaking. Theres alot of services you do not need that can be disabled, unnecessary visual 'eyecandy' etc that you should disable if you want to get the most power out of your system.

If your new to tweaking you can check out any of the multiple guides on the subject that guides you through the basics. Theres plenty of them floating around the net.

ripken2004

wow what programs do u guys have in the backround, im only using 200-250 when i only have firefox and aim running, w/ norton antivirus in backround and thats it

reciprokal

mine is using 405mb... and i am running avast, mcafee virus scans, sygate firewall pro, microsoft antispyware beta and firefox...

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hahaha...

I have to say that I have 502Mb used...out of 2048 (1024 physical and 1024 virtual) and 51 processes running. I better close some. I close most of them when I play games anyway...including my antivirus. The only thing that I leave running is my firewall. That ought to keep me safe.

Edit: BTW just realised that NERO Burning Rom uses 106Megs of memory. Closing that....I was burning a system image backup.

JAN :D

Because every new system have lots of stuff and 3-D graphic and that's why it getting slower, but you get more it goes faster and so much better. It really cheap to buy RAM though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Why so much though? when I had windows 98 my pc only used about 80mb?
BUt when you had Windows98,
1. W98 doesnt "do" anything so naturally it wont use memory
2. W98's taskman didnt tell you how much memory it really was using

Currently commiting 1743MB out of 5GB :p