Computer won't read flash drive

aramp1

This may be kind of a dumb question, but I don't know the answer. :confused:

I just got a 1G Thumbdrive off of e-bay. The description said that the drive was used, but it did work. The condition of the drive appears to be brand new (no scuff marks, etc). However, I can't get my computer to read it when it's installed into the USB port. I tried rebooting the computer with it installed and it still didn't work. Any suggestions?

ARAMP1

I'm running Windows XP

aramp1

Possibly. I'm looking over Lexar support right now. They don't seem to have anything yet; I'm still reading though.

ARAMP1

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Does ...?

Does the drive, when plugged into the USB cause any detection attempt of your OS? What OS do you have? It could be broken or it requires installation of drivers (which is unlikely).

JAN :D

aramp1

jancz3rt said:
Does the drive, when plugged into the USB cause any detection attempt of your OS? What OS do you have? It could be broken or it requires installation of drivers (which is unlikely).

JAN :D

No detection attempt. (and I know the port is working)

Windows XP

I looked on the Lexar website and they said it didn't need any drivers.

Last edited:

Lax

VIP Member
Well, it COULD be the port and you may just not know it. Have you tried plugging in something else the computer hasn't seen before to see if it triggers the detection process. Also see if it actually runs from that port (could be broken, unless you've already ran something off it).

aramp1

Lord AnthraX said:
Well, it COULD be the port and you may just not know it. Have you tried plugging in something else the computer hasn't seen before to see if it triggers the detection process. Also see if it actually runs from that port (could be broken, unless you've already ran something off it).

It's really wierd. I know it's not the port because I can plug new things into the port and it detects them right off.

Here's what's wierd. I just bought a GE brand USB 4 port hub (my computer only has two ports and I wanted more). The flash drive works off of the hub, but not off of the computer. Strange. Could it be because the computer ports are 1.1 and the hub is 2.0? Oh well, it works now.

ARAMP1

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I've seen this before. I once plugged one of those drives in a usb port on the face of my old computer and it refused to work even though everything else I'd plug into that port worked. The drive would work in all other usb ports though and at the time I too thought it where very wierd :). As far as the ports on the hub goes I dont think that they would be working as 2.0 even though they may be 2.0 simply because they are still plugged into 1.0 usb ports. I could be wrong as I have no experience with those usb hub things :). I usualy recommend the pci cards.