Computer won't run windows...

tele1214

OK, so I know hardly anything about computers, but my emachine desktop will start, go to the black and white screen where it asks how you want to start Windows, but no matter what I choose (safe mode, standard, etc.) it will start loading for a few seconds, go to the emachine logo, say something about the monitor power supply and then go back into that loop again. This will go on for hours in the same cycle. Any ideas of what to do?

tele1214

No, I didn't really do anything new to it I don't think. It makes noise all the time, so I don't really know what's making what noise...It seems like I might've just overused it or something and it broke finally. Really all I need to do is get certain stuff off the hard drive and onto a laptop, but I can't even get to the point of the desktop homepage.

Bob692006

It sounds to me like the hard drive is failing but there isn't really anyway to know for sure without being able to get into Windows. You could try adding the HDD to another up and running computer, boot to the Windows OS on the drive that was already in there, and try running a 3rd party HDD testing utility.