Computer Won't Shut Down...

Hi,

My computer is being really wierd and it won't shut down. I will click shut down/restart and it will just sit there and do nothing. The only way I can do it is by putting it in hibernate and then turning off from there. I can't even turn off from Task Manager. What should I do?

Thanks!

It might be a virus. Do you regurally run virus scans or have an anti-virus apptication installed. What version of windows are you running?

I'm running Windows XP Pro. I don't have a virus scan at the moment but I regularly run Panda Scan and it did find a virus. It said that the virus was a minor one and that it monitored my internet activity and activated pop-ups. I've been meaning to get rid of it but didn't that that that was the problem.

Thanks.

Ok... I really have no idea what is wrong but I'm sure Praetor will. For now though, you can try right clicking on the desktop then clicking on the screen saver tab, clicking on the power button under the monitor power catagory and then clicking on the advanced tab. Make sure that all the menus do the right thing. Thats all I can think of for now but wait for Praetor and if I can think of something I'll tell you.

W126

what is the virus'name.you can enter the savemode than delate it if you cound not delate it.or you can find the virus,change the virus's name,than restart your computer,than you can delate it by your self.:)

So unless I get a Antivirus Program there's really nothing I can do? What program do you guys recommend? Also, are there any good ones for free that I should look out for?

Thank you!

The AVG antivirus is really good. When did this problem start? Was it after you installed a program or something?

Nope, just started happening out of the blue...

Also, which version of AVG should I use? A link? Sorry, I'm not very computer savy if you haven't noticed.

Thank you!