Computer wont start, loud beep

lynx6200

Basicly, I had my computer at home when I put it together and it was working fine. Brought up to DC in the car, so I thought maybe some wire got loose. It worked the first few times, but crashed a few times freezing up here and there which seemed odd. Now, when I start it, fans flicker on for a sec, lights flicker and go out, and it beeps. Did this twice, than a moment after i started it again everything seemed to run, but now its back to not doing anything. Theres a code thing on the mother board that started to read 9.F, 8.3 i think when i got the problem, but it changes so quick im not sure. I re-connected all the cables, but still the same problem.

Oh, and this beeping, not starting up began after i installed two new fans, but doesnt seem to make much sense to me that the fans would be a prob, as they are only connected to the power supply.

Last edited:

livelife

it could be to do with the psu not supplying enough power to the mobo. so have a look at the max output of the psu and work out howmuch u are useing.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
i dont think it would be that if it was working fine at the satrt, although i would say its the psu, try another psu in it and see if it helps

EDIT: uppon reflection, i would have to go the RAM being dead.

Last edited:

NT61

banned
Check all the parts to see if they are well connected.
Maybe your PSU got damaged when you brought it up to DC :(

lynx6200

Okay, thanks guys, Ill check that out and see what happens. By the way, the psu is 450 watts, so should be more than enough for eveything.

Last edited:

dansilva

the psu is 450 wayys, so should be more than enough for eveything.

not in my experince i had a psu 450w which wasnt powerful enough to power all my equipment so i had to buy a antec true power 550w, from then it ran smooth.

so may be your psu is not powerfull enough. by the way what are your specs?

lynx6200

Ive checked all the connections, and everything looks fine. I dont have another psu on hand, so its hard to test that. Id appreciate any other recomendations...

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have you checked that all internal cards are seated fully? They may look it sometimes but actually are not, Also this would make sense as you moved it all that way in your car they could have jared loose.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
since you don't want to try another power supply, disconnet the power connectors on your cd drives and see if it boots fine or not, if it does, you're probably under powered on the ps. You never said what the wattage was on it. :)

lynx6200

Actualy, around the middle of the posting i mentioned its 450/w. But hey, thats okay. Anyway, counting the power i need for all my items, listed below in sig., i only need about 400 watts or so. By the way, i just made an update to my m/b, as it had been written down as an asus, but its actualy an abit av8, and has a little code thingy that shows numbers on it when you boot, im trying to find the online guid to explain those numbers, which read 0.2, than at bootm 8.3, than 9.F.

Ill try unhooking the power from my cd drive later tonight when i get hom, thanks.

lynx6200

Okay, i tried all of what you guys mentioned above, removing powercords to things, even disconecting the HD, and still get the same problem. So i was thinking maybe the cpu could have come loose? Im not sure how to get the heat sink off though, and would think the h/s would hold the cpu firmly in place anyway. My other though is the m/b has died, but the code window remains lit when the power is on. Please let me know if you all have any other ideas, thanks.

lynx6200

Hey guys, sorry about all the posts, but Im just trying to keep thing up to date. I think it probably is the power supply, which meanse Ill have to find out about getting a replacement, anyone know if Diablo Tek covers that in the warranty or anything? Anyway, If I may just buy a new one, do you have any recomendations? Thanks

lynx6200

I figured I chould resume my question here rather than starting a new thread. Diablotec replaced my psu with a new one that I just installed. At starup everything seems to be perfect, fans go on, HD spins, but after about 7 seconds it all dies down/shuts down. The postal code reads 9.f and 9.c (but i dont know what that means).

My only thought now, since the psu has been replaced, is the motherboard (although it seems to be getting power)?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
by the way, the PSU is 450 watts, so should be more than enough for eveything.
wattage means nothing. have a look at the PSU 101. Whats the amperage breakdown? Also, if you can get into bios (or have a DMM), what are the line voltages? :)