Computer won't turn on after shutdown problems

NuttySquirrel

A few weeks ago, my year and a half old Dell computer started having problems after shut down. It would shut off fine, then five seconds later it would try starting back up, (fans and HD would start spinning) but would shut itself back off immediately (within a matter a few seconds). That would be the only time it did it, and it would only try to start itself back up once.

Last night, however, I went to shut it down, it tried starting back up like I previously mentioned, then would kill itself, then it would keep on repeating trying to start back up! It would shut off, start back up, shut off, start back up... and this continued on with no end. I ended up unplugging it from the wall outlet.

The best description I could give to you is that it sounded like someone was revving up an engine. Rev up for a few seconds, quit, rev up for a few seconds, quit...

Today I finally got a chance to mess around with it, so I plugged it back in and hit the power button and nothing... I think the NIC usually leaves the LED on in the back of the machine, but I see no light on. Looks like the power supply is toast. What do you think?

Prometheus

I agree with you. Quick question though, did you do any upgrades to your computer before it first exhibited problems after shutdown?

NuttySquirrel

AND this is from the Dell.com forums:

"It sound like your power supply is going. Alot of us have had problems with this, dell got a bad batch of psu's around 10/03. We had a thread here that had about 300 people with failed power supplys that died days after the warrenty expired and dell doesnt care. In keeping with lousy customer service they deleted the thread that had all the psu's that we used to fix this problem. You need a atx power supply with a sata connector. This is the run down of this problem 94% power suppys, 5% motherboard, 1% power button."

I'm not to happy with Dell right now.