confused about firewire?

+_Me_+

My laptop just arrived today, and its got me confused because the firewire input jack seems to be reversed. I used to plug in the small end in videocam and then the big end in the desktop, but with the notebook the small end is on the side, and then where the heck do I plug in the big end in my camera?
Do i need to buy a new one with 2 small ends or get a firewire media card?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
my minidv cam uses the small end of the firewire like yours and the computer has the big one. i don't know if two small one's would work.

alanuofm

VIP Member
liuliuboy said:
my minidv cam uses the small end of the firewire like yours and the computer has the big one. i don't know if two small one's would work.

yes a 4 pin firewire to a 4 pin firewire cable will work.

+_Me_+

ugh, ok I guess Il have to buy a new firewire with 2 small ends, another 100$.
I wish they would just standardize these things, I have like 8 different USB sizes, 1 would save alot of clutter since they are the same thing.

alanuofm

VIP Member
i see some online for less than 20$. check at your local retailer as well.

rofl thats why firewire is not as popular as usb even though its faster.

alanuofm

VIP Member
flame1117 said:
8 USB sizes? therea are only 2, 1.0 and 2.0 also i dout it will cost you 100$ for a firewire cable....

the most notable usb revisions are 2.0 and 1.1. however there are also .9 and 1.0. they are all however backwards compatible. there are 3 sizes of plugs that i am familiar with which is the normal sized plugs and then the mini-a and mini-b plugs.

+_Me_+

Well one came with my video cam, another 2 with my two mp3 players, one with my pic cam, another with my external dvd burner, ok so thats five lol, and each device has its own sized plugin

lol but yea, the firewire I bought was 50$ but they had a better one for 100$ and I went for the cheaper one, but now that im really getting into video editing, im gonna want the 100$ lol...o well

alanuofm

VIP Member
+_Me_+ said:
Well one came with my video cam, another 2 with my two mp3 players, one with my pic cam, another with my external dvd burner, ok so thats five lol, and each device has its own sized plugin

lol but yea, the firewire I bought was 50$ but they had a better one for 100$ and I went for the cheaper one, but now that im really getting into video editing, im gonna want the 100$ lol...o well

what? im seeing 3M firewire 4pin-4pin cables for like 7$. do you have IEEE1394a or b?