Confused on BIOS setup/OS installation

MrsMerkle1130

UPDATE: Problem solved... had to reconfigure BIOS settings so that the computer would boot from the disk drive and not the hard drive. However, now I'm having Windows 7 installation issues... when the language selection screen comes up after the files load, my keyboard and mouse suddenly stop responding. Anyone?

Howdy,
Just finished putting together my custom desktop. It was a trial and error process involving much manual consultation, swearing and retreating to the backyard to chain smoke and mentally review my f-ups. But finally, it has come together.

I went to boot up for the first time and couldn't for the life of me figure out why I wasn't getting a picture on the monitor. I checked and rechecked every cable and wire, attempted booting with each individual RAM module in each slot individually, reviewed every step of my installation process including any potential shorts being caused by bad installation (found none). Finally, I sat staring blankly at the I/O shield on the back of the computer and it hit me: the monitor cable was plugged into the motherboard, and not the video card.

Once I plugged it into my video card, the problem was solved, but now I've run into a new one, and I don't know if it's related or not. When I boot up, I hit the DEL key to enter the BIOS setup and I've reviewed all the settings and decided to leave them alone since I'm a beginner. If I do NOT enter BIOS, then the computer attempts to start Windows XP (which I did NOT purchase... I bought a new copy of Windows 7). When it fails, I get a black and white screen saying that Windows did not start successfully, and gives me the option to either start normally, or start in various safe modes. When the countdown runs out, the computer restarts and goes through the entire process over and over again.

I attempted this same thing with the Windows 7 installation disk in the disk drive, and have achieved the same results. After consulting various online articles and guides, I decided here was the best place to ask for help. Any ideas?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into the bios to make sure that usb keyboard and mouse is enabled. Or you can just try resetting the cmos by unplugging power cord to power supply. Remove the cmos battery from the motherboard, press and hold the power button on the case for 10 seconds then wait 5 minutes. Then reinsert battery and power cable and try reinstalling.