Connecting Desktop to TV - Audio Question

Sm_Sheba

New Member
Hey,

Here is my situation:

I have a Dell XPS 420 and I want to connect it to my Receiver (and ultimately my HDTV).

I currently have 2 monitors hooked up to the computer.

I think that the cheapest way to get video to the TV would be to get a DVI splitter and broadcast the same image as my main monitor on my TV.

My first question is: Would that slow the performance of my computer?

I would get a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect it to my Receiver; the receiver is connected through HDMI to the HDTV.

Does anyone see any flaws in this except for the fact that I will have no audio?

Now to address the audio problem that is the reason why I am posting this thread:

I have regular computer speakers that I like and would use for regular computer typed stuff, but obviously they dont cut it when I want to watch a Blu-ray - that is why I want to connect my computer to the HDTV.

I have an optical audio output and an S/PDIF coaxial connector on the computer; i dont think it matters which one I connect to the receiver, but regardless, which of these paths is my audio going to travel? Is it going to broadcast the same sound over my regular speakers and my home theater that is connected to my receiver simultaneously? or am I going to have to screw around with the plugs every time I go to watch a BD.

Any comments or suggestions?
 
OK, the adaptor will not slow anything down.

As for Audio, if you want 5.1 you would have to do something else, standard, you can run a 3.5mm to RCA into your TV or sound system.
 
I'm not sure how, but i can tell you that don'e expect to get 7.1 surround sound if your going to do taht... i know 5.1 + 2.0 = 7.1, but you 5.1 speakers has a dedicated sound to produce, for example the middle will only make sound coming out of the front, and the rear will be sounds from the back blah blah you know, so your 2.0 speakers will play every sound, not just some and it will ruin the 5.1 set up... trust me...
 
I didnt plan to turn it into a 7.1. I just dont want to have to screw around with wires every time i switch from using my computer to using the TV.

If they both streamed simultaneously, i could just turn whichever one i was using on, and turning the other 1 off. Then i wouldnt have to screw around with any plugs.

Plugging my computers into the headphone jack works fine for the sound that I require out of them, but if I get a Y splitter out of the headphone jack and stream it to both items simultaneously, i would probably get a 2.0 signal to both my 2.0 speakers and my 5.1 speakers.

I was thinking that i need to use an optical or coaxial wire to attach my computer to the 5.1 receiver, but then what happens if i have one audio wire going from my computer to my receiver from the optical or coaxial output, and the other wire streaming to my computer speakers through the headphone jack?

Would one path take precedent and nullify the signal to the other? or would they both broadcast simultaneously?
 
how can I be able to stream the same audio to my computer speakers (2.0) and receiver (5.1) simultaneously?

For 5.1, you will need a 5.1 sound card, otherwise if you use the standard audio you will get 2.1 or 2.0

To go through both just buy a Y splitter and you can do it.
 
Back
Top