constant restarting

Muralot

cyras21 said:
Yeah, I've tried the last know good configuration and I also have Norton's Go Back which couldn't fix the problem.

This is just a suggestion, but I had a similar problem when I was using Go Back - PC was fine in the evening, than I got a nasty morning surprise. I disabled Go Back and everything returned to normal. Than I got rid of it :) It's a good utility, though, saved my skin several times, but sometimes can cause problems.
Again, this is just a suggestion. You can try it to see if it works. Keep in mind that when you disable Go Back it will delete all backups (at least this is what I remember). If I am wrong, please correct me, used it a long time ago.

cyras21

I think I'm really screwed now. I had about 7 gigs of unpartitioned space on my hard drive so I decide to install windows there and try and take a "back door" to getting my other files back. This was before I realized Allen had included the "/r" behind chkdsk. So, I stopped the installation and ran CHKDSK /r which said it found errors and corrected them, took about 15 mins for the process. The screen said to restart the computer which I did, but what I wasn't expecting it started the fresh installation I had previously started. I then went back into the recovery console and tried to delete that particular installation which it wouldn't let me. I then tried to reformat that one but it froze at 5% completed. I then restarted the computer and went into FDISK to delete the second partition and reformat it. What happened next is the scarry part. My hard drive started making a series of rapid beeping and some other wierd noises. I turned the computer off and restarted and ran FDISK again, no drives found. If I run windows recovery I get a technical error that tells me to restart. Is my hard drive gone?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
He can't get into windows to do that
He cant get into windows -- which doesnt mean he cant get into safe mode :) (worth a shot at least)

Yeah, I've tried the last know good configuration and I also have Norton's Go Back which couldn't fix the problem.
You're lookin at a reformat there.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
He cant get into windows -- which doesnt mean he cant get into safe mode :) (worth a shot at least)

cyras21 1/7/05 said:
Ok, Computer constantly restarts...Safe mode locks up,

Safe modes not safe either!

Praetor said:
You're lookin at a reformat there.

Yup, looks like its time to start from scratch.

I need to send you a copy of my "Lysol Disk".

lol i had a computer that did taht, cuz the outlet i had it hooked up to was wired wrong and whenever the new furnace turned on my computer turned off then back on. but i DOUBT this is your problem

murphy0207

cyras21 said:
My computer was fine last night. This morning when I turned it on it started up like it's suppose to but after the windows xp loading screen disappeared the computer restarted. Now it's in a never ending loop of restarting itself. I have not changed the hardware configuration and it will not start in safe mode, it freezes. Any suggestions?

i would suggest a reinstall , you will need your windows disc, there are a lot of threads for this problem at the moment, you could search for answers for problems similar to yours and give them a try, however a reinstall should sort it as its most likely caused by dump files...................