Core i5, i7 - Gaming Benchmarks for Crysis, Far Cry 2, Left 4 dead

Fatback

VIP Member
You have to understand the workings of the chip to really understand the difference. The non-core parts of the i5 are clocked slower than that on the i7. Keep in mind that the PCIe controller on the 1156 i5/i7 is on the CPU and is part of the 'non-core' clock group.

Another feature of i7 over i5 is hyperthreading. I know that's not a big deal yet, there's very few places for 8 threads to be running right now but they'll come in time I'm sure. And one more thing: turbo mode. The i7s can disable unused cores on the fly and get a higher single (or dual or triple) core clock speed than the i5.

Like I said I was talking about games not other stuff you might do with it. If someone was looking to build a gaming computer then it would be best to go with the i5. The i7 is not going to give you much more in games and you would just spending more money.

Like I said though I don't care about the i5/i7.IMO If I where to build a $1500 gaming rig I would still go with AMD without putting a second thought into it.

linkin

VIP Member
Like I said I was talking about games not other stuff you might do with it. If someone was looking to build a gaming computer then it would be best to go with the i5. The i7 is not going to give you much more in games and you would just spending more money.

Like I said though I don't care about the i5/i7.IMO If I where to build a $1500 gaming rig I would still go with AMD without putting a second thought into it.

I wouldn't just rush into it with AMD until they release a new line of processors and see how they stack up against the i5/i7's, then i would decide which is a better price/performance ratio.

Has anyone heard anything about the i9's yet?

Bodaggit23

If I where to build a $1500 gaming rig I would still go with AMD without putting a second thought into it.

That's like saying, "I have enough money to buy a Ferrari, but I'll settle for a corvette".

Makes no logical sense. Most consumers want the most for their money.

Fatback

VIP Member
I wouldn't just rush into it with AMD until they release a new line of processors and see how they stack up against the i5/i7's, then i would decide which is a better price/performance ratio.

Has anyone heard anything about the i9's yet?

That is just you as for me I quite Intel when the Phenom II's came out. When Intel comes out with a Socket that can fit 20+ different CPU's then maybe I will give them another chance.

That's like saying, "I have enough money to buy a Ferrari, but I'll settle for a corvette".

Makes no logical sense. Most consumers want the most for their money.

Your right I won't the most for my money the most upgrade ability. Intel just doesn't have that with the new sockets/chipsets. Until Intel can figure out how to make one socket universal to any of there CPU'S like AMD as mostly done. Then I will give them another try.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That is just you as for me I quite Intel when the Phenom II's came out. When Intel comes out with a Socket that can fit 20+ different CPU's then maybe I will give them another chance.

If you want to rag on them for a new socket that's fair enough I suppose but don't act like AMD hasn't done the same thing. How many different sockets has AMD put out since Socket A? Now compare that to Intel since the Pentium 4.

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you want to rag on them for a new socket that's fair enough I suppose but don't act like AMD hasn't done the same thing. How many different sockets has AMD put out since Socket A? Now compare that to Intel since the Pentium 4.

Hmm lets see, how many configs have I had?

Intel:

Slot 1

sockets:

goes on and on

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
What about AMD then? I agree there have been a lot of sockets but to say AMD is innocent is a stretch.

Like I said, starting at the Pentium 4 (desktop only, for AMD and Intel):

S423
S478
LGA775
LGA1366
LGA1156

AMD:
Socket A
S754
S939
S940 (Athlon FX)
AM2
AM2+
AM3

tlarkin

VIP Member
What about AMD then? I agree there have been a lot of sockets but to say AMD is innocent is a stretch.

Like I said, starting at the Pentium 4 (desktop only, for AMD and Intel):

S423
S478
LGA775
LGA1366
LGA1156

AMD:
Socket A
S754
S939
S940 (Athlon FX)
AM2
AM2+
AM3

LOL, no sorry I was agreeing with you, those are just what I personally have had with Intel, and I must have forgot to add in the AMD....got busy at work

I had a Slot A Athlon hehe

linkin

VIP Member
If you guys have seen my case, it's from my old Socket A system. Don't go bashing the 90's/retro look now ;)
Anyway, has AMD mentioned anything about new processors for AM3 or possibly a new socket? (probably not going to be a new AMD socket for a while... 3 years or more)

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you guys have seen my case, it's from my old Socket A system. Don't go bashing the 90's/retro look now ;)
Anyway, has AMD mentioned anything about new processors for AM3 or possibly a new socket? (probably not going to be a new AMD socket for a while... 3 years or more)

I would say 90s processors were Slot processors because they only existed in the 90s. They went from socket to slot, and then back to socket because of all the issues slot based processors had.

Apple used their own weird connection, it reminded me of a scsi connection but their processors were built on daughter boards that plugged into the logic board.