Core Speed and Effective Speed!?

ThePCmaN

Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT/350MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB GDDR3/1000MHz

can someone clear up those for me.. like Core Speed, and then the Effective Speed! please put those into detail.. thanks ! :D

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I'll try :) but i'm not so sure about any great detail.. Core speed is the gpu's speed which is 350 mhz much like a cpu runs at certain speeds (think of gpu as a cpu for a video card).

Effective memory speed is simply the speed at which the memory of the video card runs at much like the ram inside your computer runs at a certain speed PC-3200 = 400mhz and of course 256mb's is the total amount of memory on the card.

I doubt that helped because I make it up as I go along ;-)..

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
He's right...

I am sure he is right. The GPU speed (350mhz) and Memory (1000mhz) speeds differ. One is processor and the other the new GDDR 3 mem.

I hope I helped you a tiny bit :)

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Flash Course in PC Arch
Chip
- A 256bit chip operating on a 350MHz clock
- The clock means that every 1/3.50E8 seconds (2.86 nanoseconds), an operation is being performed on "something". The fact that its a 256bit chip means that "something" is 32bytes of data.

Memory
- 256bit memory interface running 500Mhz(1000DDR)
- Like the chip, the 256bit part means that the memory read/writes are done 32K at a type and since there is synchronization with the chip there isnt a massive bottleneck between the chip and the mem controller (i.e., GFX5800). With conventional memory, an operation (read/write) is performed (typically) on a rising edge of a clock pulse (clock = the 500Mhz number). Since this is DDR memory (or a variant of), it means that activities can also occur on the falling clock pulse (and since there is one falling pulse for every rising pulse....) hence DDR = twice the operations. So, at the end of the day the number you'll be concerened with is 1000MHz.