Cpu Help!!!

valleymanSS

I was looking at gettin a cpu for an old pc, dell 1.9ghz p4. i look briefly at the celerons and noticed a quite and high clock speed for an low price. please can some on tell me the disadvantages of getting a celeron over a p4.

cheers

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Advantage
- Cheap

Disadvantage
- Compared to similarly clocked chips, roughly 40-60% of performance. This is due to having 128K L2 cache as opposed to 512K (and Intel chips are very dependent on the L2)

Reccomendation
- If you cant afford the full P4, if possible (and im not sure if this will work), get the Mobile Celeron as (a) it will run cooler and (b) it has 256K of L2 cache

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking at something like say the Celeron 2.6Ghz I would say probably (definitely so if its the mobile version) as the P4 design thrives more from a higher clock than from more L2

valleymanSS

do u think that you could recomend me a cheap celeron that will out perform my cpu at the moment, also will it be compatiable with my motherboard?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you can get a Mobile Celeron 2.6 (or better) and provided it's a Socket478 then you should be good (assuming you're mobo is a Socket478). Now if you cant (a) get a mobile chip or (b) the mobile chip wont work in a desktop mobo then get a full P4 as you'd be wasting your time.

PowerLeap_Tech1

Well the first thing you need to know is what system do you have? Because P4 chips come in all shapes and sizes. Different FSB's mostly. But Socket types aswell Socket 423, Socket 478 and LGA 778(Prescott). So post your System Make and model and i'll see what info i have on it in my database.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If im not mistaken, 1.9Ghz chips were Willametes -- Northwoods didnt kick in until 2.0Ghz. As for the Celeron 2.6Ghz, that'll be NorthwoodB