CPU is busy.

adrianxw

I have two computers under my desk here, at home.They are almost identical, not quite, but the differences are fairly minor. 4GHz i7's, 16GB RAM on ASUS Sabertooth Z170's. For a few years, they have run, trouble free, They run under 64 bit Windows 8.1, 24/7 number crunching BOINC, similar project portfolios. I tend to use this machine more than the other. I noticed recently, Boinc Manager says this machine said suspended - "CPU is busy". Checking logs, this is happening 8-10 times a day. The task manager shows the machine basically idle for about 10 seconds, then it starts running again. What would that be?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Is there some scheduled task running? If you don't want BOINC to stop processing, be sure to change the settings so that it's CPU usage is not throttled.

1643164932730.png

adrianxw

It is not throttled. It is set to use 100% and the suspend is set to 80% - it never is though. I may edit source files and run a compiler, but I see this happening, on this machine only, when it is otherwise idle. When it does this, the task manager drops from pretty much 100% load to, typically less than 10%. How is it seeing the CPU as busy? It has been running the same BOINC projects for years, they don't change often.

Last edited: