CPU Liquid Cooling

C4C

So I know this is a well covered topic, but I need a bit of insight.

Seems like whole new line of liquid coolers have come into the market and I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to shop for one.

My FX-8320 is overheated constantly in the NZXT H230 while on air and I'm looking for a 120mm assembly.

I've come down to the Corsair H80i & NZXT Kraken x31. Heard good things about both, never messed around with them though.

I've been a previous owner of Corsair's air cooling and I enjoy NZXT's currently, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. :p

Laquer Head

I have had excellent success with Corsair AIO coolers, currently using an h80i and its great. As you did, I've heard excellent reviews on the Kraken, but no hands on experience!

Darren

Staff member
Turn your overclock down. 4.7GHz out of an 8320 is quite a jump. Mine gets pretty toasty at 4.4GHz

Water cooling is a waste of money in most instances IMO.

C4C

I have had excellent success with Corsair AIO coolers, currently using an h80i and its great. As you did, I've heard excellent reviews on the Kraken, but no hands on experience!

It's what I'm leaning towards.. It's a nicer radiator imo.
I'll for sure have to ask some of my Steam friends that I knew back in highschool. They swore by liquid and built a lot more computers!

Turn your overclock down. 4.7GHz out of an 8320 is quite a jump. Mine gets pretty toasty at 4.4GHz

Water cooling is a waste of money in most instances IMO.

Oops.. forgot to note it's at 4.5GHz for that purpose! :D

Main issue is that my GPU gives off a lot of heat, and this case doesn't have very good ventilation :(

spirit

Staff member
Oops.. forgot to note it's at 4.5GHz for that purpose! :D

Main issue is that my GPU gives off a lot of heat, and this case doesn't have very good ventilation :(
Then get better cooling for your GPU or get a better case maybe? ;)

Is your GPU overclocked too?

C4C

Then get better cooling for your GPU or get a better case maybe? ;)

Is your GPU overclocked too?

Case might be a good option but I really like this design :confused:

GPU is at factory speeds.. The GPU never manages to go above 65C but oh lawd does it get hot... This rig is supposed to last me another couple years too.

I'm resistant to change right now, but I may have to pick up a Fractal R5... They look very clean.

spirit

Staff member
Case might be a good option but I really like this design :confused:

GPU is at factory speeds.. The GPU never manages to go above 65C but oh lawd does it get hot... This rig is supposed to last me another couple years too.

I'm resistant to change right now, but I may have to pick up a Fractal R5... They look very clean.
NZXT H440 is a good option if you like the S430 design. I love mine. Airflow seems OK but the Fractal is probably better for airflow, but it collects more dust. I've used both - both really good cases but I went with the H440 for my personal build.

Reactions: C4C

beers

Staff member
Hmm, probably not worth the investment for ~5% clock speed bump tbh. I had a H100 on my 8350 for a while and it started to struggle keeping <65C at 4.8 GHz with 1.55v.

I'd probably roll the $60-80 you would spend into a new build instead. The cost/performance benefit is a bit higher.