CPU overheating

superflysmith

motherboard overheating

My motherboard is fine until i start rendering video. It starts getting really hot at more strenuos parts (lots of effects and layers). Than the cpu starts overheating until finally the computer shuts itself off. What is going on?

superflysmith

I think I read this program wrong so I'm asking this in a different area. My temp sensors are Board temp 32C--- CPU temp 55C ---- Power/Aux temp 32C. The Power temp will get very hot and than the CPU follows until it either cools back down or just shuts off.

superflysmith

I wrote this in another area of the forum but I believe it belongs here.
Right now every thing is fine. Board temp 32C, Cpu 55C, and Power Aux 28.5. Earlier tonight the power/aux began getting to hot and this drives up my CPU. It is especially bad when I render video with alot of fx and layers. In fact it's shut off on me because it's gotten so hot.
By Power/Aux temp I assume they are talking about my power supply :confused: This power supply should be enough for my system I'd think. It is a Vantec 420w Stealth.
My heatsink came with the prescott chip. Does this have to be replaced? If it does why would they sell it to me in the first place? Anyone who is buying this chip is obviously doing more than surfing the net. So what's the point of giving out a piece of crap heatsink? If that is what it is.
Like I said first the power/aux gets really hot than my PCU. What should I do?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
*threads merged* :)

For those temps its not the CPU nor MOBO (unless you have some funky settings in BIOS). Might be the RAM though? But those sticks have built in 'sinks .... are you sure the temperature readings are good?

Edit: you've told us the boot-temp and youve said that "the system overheats when you start to do stuff" .... overheats to what temperatures?

superflysmith

Praetor said:
*threads merged* :)

For those temps its not the CPU nor MOBO (unless you have some funky settings in BIOS). Might be the RAM though? But those sticks have built in 'sinks .... are you sure the temperature readings are good?

Edit: you've told us the boot-temp and youve said that "the system overheats when you start to do stuff" .... overheats to what temperatures?

When I started my computer the readings were 27C board, 74.5C CPU, 68C Power. They began to cool from there but, then I rendered some video to test the temps it got up to.... 30C 72.5C(CPU) 81C power. It made it through the rendering without shuting down.
I believe the readings are fairly accurate. I've seen them high just as my computer shuts down. I'm using Sandra to monitor it. I also noticed my computer begins to have slow responces when it heats up.
I still haven't figure out how to measure the RAM but when I do I'll post back.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Intel style = attempt to reduce heat by slowing the CPU down, up to 50%
Now that you've given us the real top temps, you need to do something about that temp -- excessively high :)