I recently built my first computer -

Antec PlusView 1000AMG
P4 3.4 GHz
Abit IC7-G
2x512 MB PC3200
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256 MB
PowMax 580W PSU
... etc.

Anyway, I noticed that the CPU temp was getting a bit high so I replaced the stock heat sink with a Thermaltake Spark 7+ (with Arctic Silver 5). Now the CPU is running a few degrees cooler but its still at about 47 idle and 61 at full load (CPU fan at 6000+ rpm). I have 5 case fans and the temps stay the same with the case open so I don't think that is the problem. The system temp stays around 28C which is close to ambient temp here. Is there anything I could do (outside of water cooling or peltier devices) or could there be a problem with my temperature sensors?

4W4K3

VIP Member
those temps arent really high...but i would expect less if you bought a 6000RPM fan and a thermaltake cooler. what voltage does your chip run at? possibly it has too much? if its stock speeds then it shouldnt have more than the default voltage. while that heatsink isnt the best it should still give you lower idle temps. it might just be a defective probe as well. but your chip wont fry or anything...its just a lil warm in my opinion.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There
those temps arent really high...
For a non-Prescott P4 with that kinda ambient temps it is -- even with stock cooling, non-Prescotts are supposed to idle in the 30-35º range.

Yeti

VIP Member
I can assure you that it isn't the extreme edition. 3.4GHz Northwoods aren't exactly common but they aren't too hard to find, you can get one on Newegg for about $420.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If that link doesn't work just go to Newegg and its on the CPU page.
Strange that it didnt show up on the search! :D *stupid Newegg... gumble gumble*

About ur heat problem.... did you apply too MUCH Arctic silver? And/or did you apply the thermalgrease without removing the thermalpad?

Is 35 degrees C good temerature an average computer??
Yes that plenty fine

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What cooler are you runnin Flash? :) Also dont forget, non-Prescotts run cooler than AMDs anyday :)