CPU Underclocking...

LawH

Hey!

I got a new CPU, but I have not gotten a proper cooler for it yet. I was wondering, is it ok to cut it's power in the power options so that it's temperature will stay under let's say 70 degrees Celsius? I have a cooler, but it is not designed for this CPU.

I can imagine if the settings were somehow set back to default and I wasn't around, there would be a problem, but taken that into consideration, is there any other issue that might arise from "underclocking" your CPU?

Thanks!

EDIT: Said GPU instead of CPU. Added that I have A cooler, but one that is not good enough

LawH

I have no idea what the cooler is. It was on an old computer of mine and it can keep a much slower i5-3350p at 50 degrees max at full stress.

The new CPU is a i7-9700kf. I tested it and it idles at around 40 with the i7, but putting any work on it would make it throttle.

The motherboard is a small and simple one, a H310M.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
40 degrees for that is actually normal, If it gets too hot, it will just throttle or shut off to protect it. Just buy a good cooler for it.

LawH

The cooler is on it's way but hasn't arrived yet.

So what I did was, I installed the new CPU, and disabled turbo boost. It is idling at around 35 degrees Celsius, and doing a stress test on it with 100% use it is now maxed just short of 65 degrees after a few minutes.

This cooler is a stock cooler I think, no idea what it is, but it is not one of those huge ones and not a liquid cooler (just to make sure if anyone is wondering).

The package temperature seems to have leveled off at around 64 degrees, and that is not bad at all I would imagine. Is it just the turbo boosts and overclocking that causes CPU's to overheat a lot and require more than a basic heat sink? I would have imagined after googling all kinds of threads, that it is a sin to not have a proper cooling system.

EDIT:

I am checking the temperature with two different programs, and I am currently running ArmA3 with over 600 soldiers all shooting at each other, and the core is not only staying cool, but not even being fully used.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Like John has said, those temps are normal and not overheating.

Since you can't overclock with the H310M, even the stock cooler on a 9700kf would be sufficient.