CPUs and Debian Buster

wireman

I wish to use the stable version of Debian Buster as the operating system in a desktop. I understand there are problems with using 3rd generation AMD Ryzen CPUs with the stable release of Debian Buster. I do not know a lot about the inner workings of Linux, so wish to simply use the stable release.

Will AMD Ryzen 5 2500X and AMD Ryzen 5 2600E work with the stable release of Debian Buster without any
problems ?

wireman

I now understand that the two CPUs are no longer available. So I have decided to use a third generation
AMD Ryzen CPU after all. I propose to install the latest stable release of Buster I.e. Debian 10.4 to get a 4.19
kernel and then install the latest kernel from the buster back port (which would be a 5.5 or 5.6 kernel).

I would then check whether the 4.19 or the back port kernel would be better for the hardware chosen.
I understand that which kernel to boot could be chosen using Advanced Options from the Grub bootloader.

Would the above work okay ?

My options for CPU are AMD Ryzen 3 3300X or AMD Ryzen 5 3600. My preferred motherboard is
MSI B450-A PRO or possibly MSI B450 TOMAHAWK.

The desktop will not be used for gaming but mostly for office work, so a high performance computer is
not required.

beers

Staff member
The desktop will not be used for gaming but mostly for office work, so a high performance computer is
not required.
In that case you could probably get away with a 3200G or similar which contains integrated graphics.

What's your angle for rolling a kernel that's outside of the one supported by the distro?

wireman

I understand that there have been problems in running the stable releases of Buster with up to date hardware
such as third generation Ryzen CPUs. Hence my interest in having a Buster back port kernel as well as the stable Buster kernel.

wireman

So will a BIOS update to the latest BIOS enable the stable release of Buster to work with third generation
Ryzen CPUs ?