crashing problem, Video card the porblem?

crypter

im using 2.0ghz 512mb ram geforce4 ti 4200 64mb(drivers are updated)

first of all is this card considered "crap" by todays standards.. It seems to run 'OK'...

Anyways on that old game delta force 2 ( i know its old so u dont needa tell me about it lol ) on 640 res i cant see much and on 800x when i go inside buildings it gets laggy and i get a sysdump. It always gets bad framerates before it crashes so that means its deff. the card right?

also iv been thinking about getting a card for a while now and the prices should drop after x mas right? how long should i wait until i figure the card has dropped from price from holliday shopping?(im basicaly watching that 6800 GT on newegg)

alo when i use hardware on that game i get better framerates and never crash on 800x res, but people disappear after about 150m ( wierd huh ) is that just because this game is so old or could it be a diff. porblem?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
first of all is this card considered "crap" by todays standards.. It seems to run 'OK'...
Youve not used a GFX5200/5500,5700LE nor Radeon9200*,9600SE,9800SE,X300,X600

so that means its deff. the card right?
Im very surprised you're getting those problems. I can play DF2 on a "Radeon" (i.e., the ORIGINAL). I can play it on a 2MB onboard setup, I can play it on a TNT2 32MB ... so a Ti4200 is already overkill. Have you enabled any hardware accelleration options in the game?

also iv been thinking about getting a card for a while now and the prices should drop after x mas right? how long should I wait until I figure the card has dropped from price from holliday shopping?(im basicaly watching that 6800 GT on newegg)
Prices will always drop :) The 6600GT is already a fairly nice price :)

but people disappear after about 150m ( wierd huh ) is that just because this game is so old or could it be a diff. porblem?
Thats the game

crypter

it does fairly good, its just if i use scope in that grass with the "turbo" on it gets lagy, which isnt a porblem really.. But mainly just if i go through buildings a lot ill crash, usually if i turn around in them of corse it seems kind of random, sometimes it wont crash for a while inside but adventually it will..

hardware acceleration.. i think its on, i remeber some setting for it but i forget where it was at. anyways if i right click on my desktop and go to properties ect.. to advanced video card settings it says hardware acceleration is in single-display mode and i cant change it either..

people only disappear on hardware mode, not software... incase you didnt get that..

---------------------------------
found that hardware accel and its been on full acceleration..

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Youve not used a GFX5200/5500,5700LE nor Radeon9200*,9600SE,9800SE,X300,X600

awww...my card's in there :( what's the * for?

the ti4200 should run that game just fine, i ran it on my MadDog nvidia geforce4 mx-400 64MB card and it played good...i think the game is at fault not your hardware.

crypter

when i go inside buildings it gets laggy and i get a sysdump. It always gets bad framerates before it crashes so that means its deff. the card right?

...i think the game is at fault not your hardware.

i dont understand how it can just "be the game." if i stay away from buildings or stay on a lower res then it wont crash.

the conclusion is if i get a faster video card it will probally still crash inside buildings?

possible be memory?

4W4K3

VIP Member
crypter said:
i dont understand how it can just "be the game." if i stay away from buildings or stay on a lower res then it wont crash.

the conclusion is if i get a faster video card it will probally still crash inside buildings?

possible be memory?

it could be that on that perticualr resolution the game has flaws/non-compatibillity with your hardware? I only say that because on my slower/older MX-440 the game ran fine...but i did have 512MB RAM. possibly RAM, but i'd have to personally play it on your machine to really tell...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i dont understand how it can just "be the game." if I stay away from buildings or stay on a lower res then it wont crash.
Consider this for instance. You have a computer with a stick of 512MB of memory. Within that stick, whenever a transfer is made from bank 524582900 to bank 524582902, the results are sometimes incorrect (i.e., a 1 gets transferred as a 0) ... something like this might be heat triggered -- and thus manage to sneak past POST. Suppose your game does a lot of activity in the vacinity of those memory elements ... you're undeniably gonna have problems :)

the conclusion is if I get a faster video card it will probally still crash inside buildings?
Quite correct

possible be memory?
Also check to see if ur HDD is getting thrashed as u enter buildings.

crypter

whats HDD(Hard drive??) and how do i check if its getting thrashed?

now im thinking about updating the ram, Right now i have 2 sticks of 256, Is it better to have 1 stick of 512 or does it make any difference? And should the ram be (dont know anything about this) compatible with the videocard ram for smoother playing?

I just remebered what i did a cuple months ago. I went on another computer and played that game with no porblems, but i was only on it for about 20 minutes so i didnt geta really good feal for it.. THis computer was:

Video card: Intel(r) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphic...
pentium 4, 2.4GHZ
768mb ram
service pack 2

its probally the better ram? I think thats and onboard card and i thought thoes sucked. Or could it be the porcessor or both?

Mine is SP1, ill update it and see if it changes anything..

thaks for all the replys so far!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
whats HDD(Hard drive??) and how do i check if its getting thrashed?
HDD = harddisk drive
You can check by looking at the lights on the case for IDE activity... they shouldnt be on when ur playing (well intermittently but not sustained)

Video card: Intel(r) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphic...
I thought u have a GF4Ti?

probally the better ram?
Normally I might agree but for that game? No.

Mine is SP1, ill update it and see if it changes anything..
I wouldnt do that....

crypter

why would you not update it?

I have 2 partitions and i put sp2 on one of them before i saw your warning..lol.. anyways after i got sp2 on it i tried for a while to make it crash and couldnt. So maby that was somehow the problem or maby just a quincidence, but i tried for about 15 mins to crash it using 800X and 1024X res and it hasn't yet... Usually it will crash as soon as i start running around inside a building withen 30 seconds at most. I also ran winmx and UT 2004 demo to try and use up more ram to make it crash, unsucessfully..

but im still wandering about that ram, should i geta certian type to work better with my videocard(after i buy a new one)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
if you read my post carefully i was talking about a computer i used a cuple months ago...

the compyer didnt start shwoing a lot of that light before it crashes but after i get the sysdump message it makes a lot of noise and theres a lot of activity

Last edited: