Custom PC On IBUYPOWER

rhinoman08

Hey Im building a pc on ibuypower.com and on the HD is a 2MB Cache worse or better than a 8MB Cache? And would u rather have a faster cpu or more memory? And do u prefer AMD or Intel and why? I hope ibuypower is a good site for custom pc's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CUZ I MIGHT GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

lilm3boi

Dont know about cache. Faster cpu or memory..depends, How much memory compared to the processor. Say if it was 128 mb vs 256 or a 2.6 Intel or 2.8, Id take the 256mb and the 2.6 then the 128 and the 2.8. I need to know what you are comparing. AMD for games and Intel for everything else.

Bobo

banned
Cache is a high-speed access area, so if the info you want is in the cache, it finds it very fast, but if it isn't, it looks through the cache first, and then through the hdd. So in cases, it could make it a little slower to have a larger cache, but in general, for this, bigger is better.

rhinoman08

well i would be getting either a ibuypower pc or a dell or a HP, but i would be gaming and serfing the net for my pc so i was thinking like 512 mb and 3.0Ghz P4 with H/T or would a gig of ram and a 3.0 be a better choice?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
AMD for games and Intel for everything else.

Ouch :) If only it where as simple as that eh? Seriously though both are great and have thiere highs and lows but it's just not as simple as that.

Hey Im building a pc on ibuypower.com and on the HD is a 2MB Cache worse or better than a 8MB Cache?

You'd want the 8meg cache versus the 2meg.

And do u prefer AMD or Intel and why?

AMD because it was just personal preference.

Oh ya and I would not settle for anything less then 512meg of memory no matter what speed the cpu was :).

Last edited:

Raster

Hmmm... Is 3.0 ghz cpu on 800 FSB with 1 gb ram on 400mhz a good combination?

I.E. Is any of those going to waste?

kingyoun

yes,all of this is important,but we can't forget video card.
if you want to play game,you must to select a good video card.

Bobo

banned
Raster said:
Hmmm... Is 3.0 ghz cpu on 800 FSB
You aint gonna be runnin an 800MHz fsb, that's the bus speed, actual FSB is probably 200MHz.
Raster said:
with 1 gb ram on 400mhz a good combination?
I.E. Is any of those going to waste?

It is fine

Waste? What do you mean by that?

rhinoman08

i have the nVidia GeForce 5500 (256 MB DDR), but im still wondering if i should go with intel for speed or AMD for performance?

Bobo

banned
rhinoman08 said:
i have the nVidia GeForce 5500 (256 MB DDR), but im still wondering if i should go with intel for speed or AMD for performance?

What are you using it for?

Switch

If you are looking for a gaming PC, get an AMD, and an AMD 64 of possible. If you are looking for an all-around PC: its your choice as far as Intel or AMD.

1 Gb of RAM in there is really a must for anything you will be doing with games as well.

If you can afford it, go with the better hardware setup.

rhinoman08

yes ill be using the pc to play games and stuff, i would be playing stuff like Call of Duty, Command And Conquerer, EverQuest 2, and Halo, so would that geforce nvidia 5500!

Raster

Bobo said:
You aint gonna be runnin an 800MHz fsb, that's the bus speed, actual FSB is probably 200MHz.

It is fine

I mean, is any of those components (cpu/bus/memory) too good or too bad for that combo?

Sorry to use your thread like this Rhino. :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
HD is a 2MB Cache worse or better than a 8MB Cache?
The price difference from 2MB to 8MB is something like $5-$10 so you might as well get the 8MB variant

Hey Im building a pc on ibuypower.com and on the HD is a 2MB Cache worse or better than a 8MB Cache? And would u rather have a faster cpu or more memory?
Depends on the chages

And do u prefer AMD or Intel and why
Doesnt matter about preferences, it depends on what you're using the machine for (generally speaking if you want a gaming system , go AMD)

Cache is a high-speed access area, so if the info you want is in the cache, it finds it very fast, but if it isn't, it looks through the cache first, and then through the hdd
HUH?? This cache is ON the hdd.

Ouch :) If only it where as simple as that eh?
Of course there are exceptions ... but generally speaking that conveys it pretty well

Hmmm... Is 3.0 ghz cpu
Whats the core and socket on this?

actual FSB is probably 200MHz.
LOL @ probably :p

Excessive bottlenecking (which there shoudlnt be)

i have the nVidia GeForce 5500 (256 MB DDR), but im still wondering if I should go with intel for speed or AMD for performance?
You dont decide on the major platform based on a (relatively) minor peripheral. It wont make a difference

If you are looking for a gaming PC, get an AMD, and an AMD 64 of possible
Absolutely ... if not getting an AMD64 then not even worth considering AMD here (with the sole exception of the Socket754 Semprons)

yes ill be using the pc to play games and stuff, I would be playing stuff like Call of Duty, Command And Conquerer, EverQuest 2, and Halo, so would that geforce nvidia 5500
The 5500 will be fine for those games.

Funzo6785

banned
5500 is fine

You'll be fine with the 5500, I have the exact same card, and I can play Doom 3 on high with all the advanced options on and up all the way, and at 1600*1200. But then again, I probably don't get phenomenal FPS, but I can deal and make the sacrifice for that kinda eyecandy.