DDR3 out

StrangleHold

Staff member
Theres going to be Mass Confusion:D. A AM2+ will run on a AM2 board, but a AM2 wont run on a AM2+ board. A AM3 will run on a AM2+ and AM3 board but not on a AM2 board, but a AM2 wont run on a AM3 board either:):) And there all the same socket design:):)

JamesBart

you know DDR3 is just out well my question is AMD wont take it up until they sort out there timings but my question is INTEL have got DDR3 mobos out now but INTEL who supply APPLE now when will they change to DDR3

how do you not know what hes asking people?

Robina i do not mean offense and this is my interpretation of what your saying and i get it! (from the north mate)

you know DDR3 is out? (answer being yeah) Well my statement/question is!

AMD wont take it up until they sort or there timings?! (ok) Intel have got DDR3 MOBOs out now, intel supply Apple. Now when will they change to DDR3?

its not that hard! :D

Geoff

VIP Member
AMD wont take it up until they sort or there timings?! (ok) Intel have got DDR3 MOBOs out now, intel supply Apple. Now when will they change to DDR3?
Also because as I said in another post, Intel can create a new chipset and have support for DDR3, while AMD would need to re-design their processors, which wouldn't be worth it for both AMD and consumers. Apple on the other hand, I dont know..

PC eye

banned
The Q4 model boards may see DDR3 put to use there. Now that DDR3 is out we'll see what AMD plans to do for boards that run their quad ocre models.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The Q4 model boards may see DDR3 put to use there. Now that DDR3 is out we'll see what AMD plans to do for boards that run their quad ocre models.
AMDs not going with DDR3 untill the AM3 socket, the AM2+ X4 Agena and X2 Kuma coming out later this year all have a DDR2 memory controller

PC eye

banned
AMDs not going with DDR3 untill the AM3 socket, the AM2+ X4 Agena and X2 Kuma coming out later this year all have a DDR2 memory controller

With the memory currenly available you don't think that AMD won't spend a little time working with that in mind already? They work with board manufacturers there.

StrangleHold

Staff member
AMDs memory controller is on the processor not the motherboard. The AM2+ Agena and Kuma coming out later this year have a DDR2 controller, theres no point making a board with DDR3 when the processor controller doesnt support it. Thats why there wont be DDR3 untill AM3

PC eye

banned
AMDs memory controller is on the processor not the motherboard. The AM2+ Agena and Kuma coming out later this year have a DDR2 controller, theres no point making a board with DDR3 when the processor controller doesnt support it. Thats why there wont be DDR3 untill AM3

Again you missed the point. And what is an AM3? A board designed to run? AMD cpus. It doesn't matter if the memory controller comes in a battery pack AMD still has to work with the board manufacturers to see AMD compatible boards made.

systek

banned
i dont see the point of arguing this topic. with the price so high, who would want to fork over that cash when there is so much readily available right now for cheap

StrangleHold

Staff member
Again you missed the point. And what is an AM3? A board designed to run? AMD cpus. It doesn't matter if the memory controller comes in a battery pack AMD still has to work with the board manufacturers to see AMD compatible boards made.

You never get the point! What is a AM3, its not a AM2+ that coming out later this year that has a DDR2 memory controller and the boards will have DDR2 slots, what dont you get! The AM3 board that will have DDR3 slots thats for the AM3 processor that has DDR3 memory controller wont be out till mid to late 2008! Of course AMD works with the boards manufactures, thats a pretty simple minded statement, they have already sent test processor to them for the new AM2+ with DDR2. The new AM2+ boards will have DDR2 because the Agena and Kuma will have a DDR2 memory controller

PC eye

banned
i dont see the point of arguing this topic. with the price so high, who would want to fork over that cash when there is so much readily available right now for cheap

Now you are onto something. Just going for a matched pair of DDR2 800 dimms saw a fortune there. Try $370 for a pair of Kingston Hyper X while a pair of 1gb dimms sses only $140? The latest stuff out always sees the high price tags there.

PC eye

banned
It's meant to be a faster memory for the newer boards that will be seen. Those will see a faster fsb above that seen on the current AM2 and Intel models. This is why you won't DDR2 memory supported on those unless allowed for in the design. Some current Asrock boards allow for DDR or DDR2 with the two sets of slot types available.