Dead Bios Battery / SATA Hard Drive Questions

mrb398

New Member
This is a 2 part question

If the bios battery is dead (not sure if its dead, but it's at the very least dying), is it possible that would cause 2 of 4 RAM slots to not function?

Also, I have a separate computer with a dead hard drive. The hard drive uses SATA 1.5Gb technology. The SATA 1.5 hard drives I found online are expensive as all hell because they don't make em anymore. Can I safely use a SATA 3.0 or 6.0 hard drive instead?

Thanks in advance
 
The battery shouldn't affect the RAM or really any functionality of the board. Worst case it would maybe make it say the system memory has changed since it forgot what it originally had. That or sometimes a PC won't POST with a dead CMOS battery, but that's more rare.

As for SATA, any SATA standard will (well is supposed to) work with any SATA drive. If it won't work right off, there's typically a jumper on them to set to SATA150
 
Back
Top