Definitions

SlothX311

A hub has a maximum transmission speed, as specified on the hub, (i.e. 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 1000 Mbps.) This maximum transmission speed has a maximum bandwidth also, a hub, takes a the ammount of lines connected to the hub and devides the bandwidth. (i.e. I have a 100 Mbps hub with 5 connected computers to it, therefore each computer gets 20 Mbps of dedicated bandwidth.) Hubs are generally cheap and economical if you have a small amount of computers on the hub.

A switch has the same transmission speeds to offer as a hub. The difference between a hub and a switch is that the switch does not devide the bandwidth. (i.e. I have a 100 Mbps switch with 2 computers connected to it, each computer gets 100 Mbps.)

A router is the same as a switch, except for the uplink or internet port that routers have. The uplink port allows you to share an internet connection. Generally you can share the internet connection on a router and then link switches and hubs to the router, although it is not nessasary. Most routers with more than four ports are more expensive than a switch or hub with more than four ports.