Dell Dimension 4100

What do you mean use it as a pc? You can't take a hard drive out of one machine and put it in another machine and utilize except to offload data and then format it and use it for extra storage. All the hardware from the other computer is different then the one you want to put it in, so you can't use as a boot drive until you format and reinstall windows on it.
 
Depends on why it crashed.

If nothing else, you can install it to a flash drive. Assuming your motherboard supports USB booting, it'll run fine.
 
see thats what i have planned alternatively. although the pc may not have a dvdrom (what I had to have for unbuntu) I found puppy linux will fit on a cdrw so it should be useable any way I go about it. I just hope that it has the functionality that I'm looking for. and, thanks guys, I do appreciate all the help. hopefully I can get a better understanding here soon though, we had to sign up for electives today and I found some good baisic computer classes.
 
Sorry to bump a slightly cold thread, but I have a bit of an update. I have gotten the Dimension 4100 after several failed attempts at booting Ubuntu/Puppy from the BIOS on the other PC. After a bit of cleaning I got the Dell to run pretty good after a slow bootup. We ordered a wifi PC Card compatible with my OS, and that was about $27 or so shipped. I think its a MSI Turbo G. It also has an ethernet card, and lucky for me one last open slot. It has a noisy HDD, and the capacity is trash. (10gb) The Travan Tape Drive is made by HP, and is full of dust. It has a Floppy, and a CDROM, I have a DVD Rom to put in it if It'll accept it...(help there would be appreciated) But...I'm not out any money so it's all good. Oh. And schw32m please contact me or give me some info on how I can get another stck of RAM.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top