Dell inspiron 5000 problem

stewest2007

New Member
Dell Dimension 5000 problem

Hi,

I recently looked at my friends Dell Dimension 5000 Desktop computer as he was having a problem using all his USB ports. He only had 2 ports working which allowed his Keyboard and Mouse to working as these are both USB and not PS2 connections.

I tried the normal things like to run a full AVG virus scan, a AD-Aware scan and i also ran smartfruadfix which didn't pick up any viruses. I also looked in device manager and there were no yellow exclamation marks and everything seemed to look ok.

As a quick solution i installed a new USB 2.0 internal PCI card and run the driver/software CD which installed ok but it didn't recognise any of the USB devices that i plugged in.

I then went on a help forum and it said to go to USB in device manager and uninstall all of the USB devices until the moue and keyboard stopped working and then restart the machine and Windows XP should detect new hardware. I did this and it does detect new deevices but i cannot use the mouse and keyboard. NOW IM STUCK!

I then took the computer apart and took out the hard disk drive with the intention of setting it as a slave and backing up on another computer. My problem now is that the hard drive is a SATA and I dont have a SATA drive in my computer so NOW IM STUCK!

Any help would majorly be of help.

The only thing i can think of is to use a portable version of XP to backup his stuff etc etc...

PLEASE HELP :)
 
Last edited:
For seeing the usb problem corrected did the system come with one or more recovery disks? The latest XPS models simply see an assigned key or key combo you press to see the factory state restored.

Whether sata or ide won't matter as far as the hard drive for simply copying files off of it. The only things that would prevent installing it a second drive on another system is having no sata port on the board which would be rare at this time or no data cable onhand.

If you bought any boards recently look for a red thinner then ribbon type cable in the box the board came in. That's a sata data cable there. The drive will fit into any free 3 1/2 bay in another case. The power plug will be a thinner wider plug however usually a black plastic compared to the typical molex type used for ide drives.
 
Back
Top