dell latitude problem

noalibi

hello, this is my first post and am searching for a solution to my newly purchased used laptop problems. it's a dell latitude c800. the guy i bought it from told me that the hard drive crashed because it would not start up at all, when i first tried to start it up the power light would come on then go back off. i fiddled with the adapter plug at the back of the notebook and got it to come up, and for a week or so everything worked fine. in the meantime i bought a new power cord and adapter thinking my problems were solved, but now it is doing the same thing. if i keep turning it on it'll finally come up until windows starts to load then the whole thing will shut down again, or it'll keep doing the same thing as when i first bought it. the battery is dead, and it does the same thing with or without the battery installed. help????? :confused: what do i need to replace??

also when i did get it to work the cd-rw/dvd rom drive would work but no sound, then sometimes if i pick it up and lean it i'd get sound. sound works on all the other drives though. are my problems in the motherboard, the dc charging board, or both. i may give hints that i know something about computers, but i don't really know squat. any help would be appreciated.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
it sounds like the motherboard or the power jack. Is the power jack, loose? when you have the adapter plugged in, can you wiggle it and the jack actually moves as well?

noalibi

nope, jack does'nt wiggle. everything seems to be getting power, and the fans and lights come on briefly then it'll shutdown and the battery monitor/charging light remains lit. i've also had others tell me that it's likely the motherboard.

any other input or expertise would be appreciated.

thanks for the input byteman.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
My vote... bad motherboard, or hard drive. You may try another HD... or run a HD test.