Dell Optiplex graphics driver failure

Airlane1979

I turned on my Dell Optiplex 3020 desktop PC today to find that the screen resolution is very low with 4:3 resolution stretched. Windows 11 settings show only 1024x768 resolution. The menu on the monitor shows a native resolution of 1600x900 but no way to select that. Device Manager shows that the Intel 4600 graphics driver has a fault, with the message: The driver for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)

After looking on the Dell community forum for assistance, I have:
- uninstalled the graphics driver and restarted
- installed an earlier version of the driver from the Intel site
- used the Custom Resolution Utility to manually change the resolution
- used the Intel Graphics Command Center which does not show any option to change resolution, probably because of that fault
- used the QRes utility to force a resolution change which produced an error message stating 1600x900 is not supported

Does anyone have other suggestions? Eventually I will have to get another PC if I can't fix this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since it has an Intel card, go to Intels website and select to automatically detect and install drivers. You will need to download a utility.