desktop build issues

SlimJim

New Member
ok I'll start from the beginning. I had a msi k9n4-sli motherboard and recently replaced it with an Asus M3A32-MVP DELUXE AM2+ RT. The reason I did this is because I recently started having issues with hard drive corruption, I replaced a corrupted drive with another and a week later, after only installing the OS (xp x64) and firefox, the same thing again. ok so now after installing this board it starts up for 15 seconds and then cuts off. I can get into the bios and before I do anything it shuts off. Or if I let it try to boot it cuts off right after checking the DVD drive. I unplugged all unnecesary components leaving only the graphics card (no onboard graphics) and keyboard plugged in, still cuts off. any ideas?
 
made sure all the screws are in for the motherboard??? could be shorting out.....

or, have you made sure all the power supply plugs are in????? might no be having enough power.
 
I had that exact problem with my last build. It turned out to be my RAM.

In th BIOS the FSB:RAM ratio was set by default to 1333FSB:800MHz RAM. After many tries to start it kept doing the same thing. It would start after about 5 tries but would crash in a few minutes. The BIOS default voltage for RAM was 1.8v, my RAM voltage needed to be set at 1.92v according to Corsair.

After changing my FSB:RAM ratio and adding the extra voltage everything is running great now!

I had to set my RAM to exactly half the FSB / Now FSB 1532 : RAM 766 MHz

Just an idea for you to look at, it took me a really painful week and a lot of yelling and throwing tools! Hopefully it works for ya;)

XION II case w/many mods
ASUS P5N-E 650i mobo
Q9300 OC'd to 2.875 GHz
Corsair XMS2 PRO 4 x 1 GB
EVGA 9800 GTX
Antec Neo Power 650w PSU
 
It won't even let you into the BIOS? Wow, something is very wrong. Yor RAM needs 2v, ya, the industry now sets the defualt voltage to 1.8v, you will have to adjut that once you get there. You will probly have to set RAM timings also, the Patriot site will have the correct timings for your RAM.

I am working on another computer right now and it has a similar problem. My friend has liquid cooling and his computer would only run for about 20 seconds and then re-boot, I could not get into the BIOS either. Turns out, his pump had failed and the processor was over heating and tripping the shut down temp. You could hear the pump run but no colant was being moved through the lines. Not to insult your intellagence, but you do have a cooler on the processor correct? Is it attached correctly?

Maybe check the cables again. One of my builds would not start up at all. I did some looking around and found the problem after about 2 hours. The cable that runs from the PSU to the 9800 GTX is six pin on both sides. It fits together both ways, I just grabbed a cable and slapped it in. Well, I guess you have to have it a certain way, I had it backwards, you would never know, it is not marked or anything. Hopefully it is something as simple as that.

What do you have for a PSU? People under estimate the importance of a good name brand PSU. I think it is the most important piece, what ever you do, don't skimp on the PSU.

Do you have the 4 pin power cable attached to the motherboard also? I have seen a guy do that. He had the 24 pin but not the 4 pin attached.
 
Back
Top