Desktop running slow...

jl1

Hello - back again. This time my issue is with my Gateway desktop running Windows 8.1. The problem is that the whole system is running very slowly - even key strokes take time to respond. The internet runs slow as well, very slow in loading the multiple components of "busy" web sites. I've run the scans and have attached same here. Could you let me know what you think? Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• MWB scan.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
  • AdwCleaner[S3].txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 3
  • JRT scan.txt
    681 bytes · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Run the following program and post the log.

Download OTL to your Desktop

•Double click on the icon to run it. Again click on yes to allow it to run. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
•Click on Minimal Output at the top
•Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan may take a few minutes.
◦When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL. Just post the OTL.txt file in your reply.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest that you uninstall spybot permanently and AVG temporarily to see if any of these are causing the slowness. Also disable any startup programs that run at bootup that are unnecessary. Also, looks like you have leftovers of nortons on your system, you should run the norton cleanup utility here. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/

I also suggest that you uninstall java from your system as you are running an outdated version. Most people don't even need java installed and its a security risk.

How long has it been running slow? If I can get a specific date, I can see if anything was installed at the same time causing the slowdown.

jl1

Thanks John. I've been away from the computer for quite a while (months), and my wife doesn't know the difference between fast or slow. It definitely seem slow to me, but I can't say from when. I'll make the changes you've suggested and let you know. Thanks again!