desktop video camera

tomtuberider_1

hey all
im new hear my names tom
im into photography and video-ography and got a little idea of computers but not a hole lot, but willing to learn :D

this may be way out there,
tho if i had a spare desktop sitting around, is it possible to wire a dslr camera sensor straight up to my desktop and use that as my video camera? to get high quality digital video

Zatharus

VIP Member
Welcome to the forum Tom! :)

I have done something similar with an old Canon G3. I'll see if I can scrounge up the software I used. I know it was a combination of Canon's remote capture software and another utility.

What DSLR do you have?

Edit: BTW - This topic would have fit best under the Digital Imaging section of the forum.

Last edited:

tomtuberider_1

hey zatharus
im using a canon 40d atm
tho id probably be using a 20d if i was to do anything
what sorta frame rates wore u getting?
cuz i was hopeing i could get close to 24 or more

Zatharus

VIP Member
Hmmm...I'm not able to find any of my old files at the moment. I am pretty sure I was capturing just 1024x768 or some close derivation of the G3 at 30FPS raw. I remember it was a weird setup in that I had the Canon remote capture app open then another program to intercept the video feed from it. The Canon software (at the time anyway) wold only allow for stills and time lapse. The resolution was limited too, but I can't recall if that was because of the transport or just the speed of my computer at the time.

I haven't had a chance to play with their newer software.