Devices To Stop Intruders

johnkromka

I have been looking lately around the Internet for network devices that are designed to stop intruders, hackers, or anyone who is not supposed to be on your network. Please don't ask me why I want this, I just do. I am looking for devices that are placed in the cable line BEFORE the router, so "whatever is not supposed to be on the network" doesn't reach the router, and after that, reach the devices connected to it.
Surprisingly, I have found very little. The only thing I have found that has met my criteria is something called the Fingbox. It is hooked up as I say and constantly monitors your wireless and wired networks for intruders. If something is found, all you have to do is click block and it's history. I have written to the company several times. I have read several very positive reviews on the device. It is not badly priced at $129. I am seriously thinking of getting it. However, I have seen some other devices, such as very expensive routers that are designed to do basically what the Fingbox does, won't allow the "intruder" to get into the devices. So this is what I have been searching for. Please don't criticize or give me any negative feedback about what I want to do. It is my choice and I am hoping some of you may already be using such devices and can recommend something or a networking company for me to look at. Price is not an object, as long as I feel it is worth it. Thank you.

Agent Smith

Look at Pfsense. You can install it into VMware player and check it out, but it may be overwhelming. There is this: https://www.netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-1000.html

I have not used it so can't vouch for it. I know there is a product by Silent Circle as well and I think Norton or someone has something you plug into your router.

The SG-1000 goes from your modem to your router. Learn how to use Snort.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

You're paranoid.

He's not paranoid and just said not to criticize. There are many vulnerabilities with IoT and routers and I can't tell you how many would-be hacker attempts tried to connect to my website from infected routers. That's why it's important to use a good router with good firmware and update it often. Third party firmware would be a lot better. I use ASUS Merlin.

beers

Staff member
I am looking for devices that are placed in the cable line BEFORE the router
I guess you could do a layer 2 firewall? You would realistically need to define your security requirements into objective items. Most out of the box home routers will not respond to inbound requests unless they're associated with a session that originated internally.

If you're looking for wifi security that'd be behind the segment you indicated.
He's not paranoid and just said not to criticize.
That's not really a criticism, the requirements aren't defined.