Dial-Up over wired LAN

Geoff

VIP Member
I just recieved my 100ft crossover cable from newegg, and everyhting works right except for the internet. I havent looked at it that closely yet, but on the host computer the internet connection is shared, but when i go on my other computer it doesnt load web pages (I havent tried msn messenger or aim yet). I set the internet connection to LAN and to "Automatically detect Settings" but its not working, can someone help please.

Geoff

VIP Member
I just found a program that allows you to share an internet connection when you use a cable modem, dial-up, dsl, etc. the program is called RideWay from www.download.com if anyone is looking for a program that can do this.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
geoff5093 said:
I just found a program that allows you to share an internet connection when you use a cable modem, dial-up, dsl, etc. the program is called RideWay from www.download.com if anyone is looking for a program that can do this.

That program came out in 1999 and does not work with XP.

Here is part of the Software Publisher's Description:

...without having to pay for extra phone lines, Internet accounts, and expensive routers.

lol

The simple solution is a router, and they are no longer expensive.

Geoff

VIP Member
I just noticed that it wasnt meant for windows xp, i would get a router but there isnt much point since i only have 2 computers and i just paid for a 100ft crossove cable.

S_Doherty

you would set your gateway on your non-host computer to your hosts computer ip address....it needs to know how to get out to the internet.....that would be it...basically a crossover cable is a patch cable in which the termination locations of the transmit and receive wires on one end of the cable are reversed, typically pairs 2 and 3 are switched because these are the pairs seding/receiving data.

Jet

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];44386 said:
I just noticed that it wasnt meant for windows xp, i would get a router but there isnt much point since i only have 2 computers and i just paid for a 100ft crossove cable.

Agreed. So what was your final verdict? If you can remember back that far :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
To answer your question, you would have to network the two together first. Have the same subnet, and the IP of the host is the clients gateway

Geoff

VIP Member
To answer your question, you would have to network the two together first. Have the same subnet, and the IP of the host is the clients gateway

I really don't need help with this anymore. :rolleyes:

But I did set all that up, and it didn't work right. I was able to use MSN Messenger, but not AIM or any other web based app (including websites).

tlarkin

VIP Member
I know you don't need help on it anymore, i was just giving the answer in case others stumbled upon the thread.

After they are networked run the internet conenction wizard, and choose to share a connection. that should set up the rest.

Geoff

VIP Member
As far as I know I did do all of that, but perhaps there was something I overlooked. It's hard to remember for certain because it was so long ago.