Directx10

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
PC Eye, I fail to see how the (wiki i presume) exerpt of DirectX addresses anything I said (unless, of course, you we'rent replying to me)

You'll have to! It's like a UFO sighting where one minute you see him and then.... "where did he go?
Hehe ya well. :p

Okedokey

Praetor im new, but, are you always such a nob? All the postings ive see from you have been condesending, and very unfriendly. Please excuse me and accept my apology if ive missed something, but really, do you think that everyone else has nothing to offer?

From what i have seen, PC Eye has tried to help the OP as best he can, now he may not be Bill Praetor Gates, but hes trying. Isn't that what you want in a forum?

Now im not privy to all the conversations that are going on in the "staff room", but im sure there is no need for such an unwelcoming tone and manner. Please correct me where you will, as i am sure you will.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Praetor im new, but, are you always such a nob? All the postings ive see from you have been condesending, and very unfriendly. Please excuse me and accept my apology if ive missed something, but really, do you think that everyone else has nothing to offer?

From what i have seen, PC Eye has tried to help the OP as best he can, now he may not be Bill Praetor Gates, but hes trying. Isn't that what you want in a forum?

Now im not privy to all the conversations that are going on in the "staff room", but im sure there is no need for such an unwelcoming tone and manner. Please correct me where you will, as i am sure you will.
You really don't know who you are talking to. If someone can't handle being shut down, then maybe they shouldn't be posting incorrect information.

Praetor is an extremely knowledgeable member, and has been very helpful in every topic he posts in.

Okedokey

its not about his knowledge, i never bought that into question.

being "shut down", is antisocial, and if that is how this forum works, than fine. I am just saying it is not exactly friendly.

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];940862 said:
You really don't know who you are talking to. If someone can't handle being shut down, then maybe they shouldn't be posting incorrect information.

What's incorrect about...? Direct3D (Microsoft) This API has become fairly common now, but it is not well-loved by programmers because of it’s finicky, chipset-dependent nature. Most 3D games released have D3D support.

Praetor is an extremely knowledgeable member, and has been very helpful in every topic he posts in.[/quote]

You mean you finally figured that out? He's one of the best here at CF to start with! :p

His stickies could use a little updating of course. But gee? The last time seen was in May 2007? Another rare Praetor sighting I guess! :eek: "he's back!" :D

Geoff

VIP Member
What's incorrect about...? Direct3D (Microsoft) This API has become fairly common now, but it is not well-loved by programmers because of it’s finicky, chipset-dependent nature. Most 3D games released have D3D support.

Praetor is an extremely knowledgeable member, and has been very helpful in every topic he posts in.

You mean you finally figured that out? He's one of the best here at CF to start with! :p

His stickies could use a little updating of course. But gee? The last time seen was in May 2007? Another rare Praetor sighting I guess! :eek: "he's back!" :D
I was referring to people posting incorrect information in general, I wasn't saying that your post was or wasn't correct.

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];941361 said:
I was referring to people posting incorrect information in general, I wasn't saying that your post was or wasn't correct.

I was simply asking a question there. You'll find that everyone(excluding some of course! :eek: :p ) can goof at times and then look back and think... "aw crud! :rolleyes: ".

Geoff

VIP Member
I was simply asking a question there. You'll find that everyone(excluding some of course! :eek: :p ) can goof at times and then look back and think... "aw crud! :rolleyes: ".
Don't get me wrong, everyone makes the occasional incorrect post. It's the people that always post incorrect information that need to be set straight.

Anyways, back on topic! :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
being "shut down", is antisocial, and if that is how this forum works, than fine. I am just saying it is not exactly friendly.
You call it antisocial, which is a fair interpretation. I call it precision and accuracy. If you're wrong you're wrong, fair and square.

In this thread, I wasnt out to "get" PC Eye -- 'sides, PC Eye's been around enough, he can handle himself (although I would like it if his posts had less of a copy-paste feel to them -- hint hint PC Eye). While the copy-paste feel of his posts does irk me, thats not what i go after..... I go after what is incorrect (to the best of my ability of course). Case in point:

PC Eye said:
In this statement, it notes that Direct3D is an API but then goes on to comment about it being chipset dependant ..... which is utterly incorrect. The whole point of an API -- application programming interface -- keyword, interface, is to provide a layer of abstraction to avoid all this "dependancy".

This is a very crucial error -- and to someone who recognizes it, really kills any 'value' in the response (note im not denying the value of his intention, but rather the actual technical value of the response) -- as far as I'm concerned, a well-intentionted but ultimately incorrect response/advice is likely to cause more damage than good (sorta like being prescribed the wrong medication). Here it wasnt a 'critical' scenario but it can happen (and has).

But back to what I was replying to you -- if someone is wrong, I'll isolate everything they stated that was incorrect and, to the best of my ability -- correct it. If you must think me a social monster for my mechanical approach, you're more than welcome to but that's generally not the intent .... and besides, PC Eye, i trust is smart enough to realize an invisible line of tolerance i have for "percentage of accurate posts" ;) Really, I was 'hardly going after him' -- it just happened that I found technical flaws in the many of his comments.

Don't get me wrong, everyone makes the occasional incorrect post. It's the people that always post incorrect information that need to be set straight.
Bingo. I'll take cold mechanical precision over well intentioned accidental errors anyday. :D

Geoff

VIP Member
I heard that Microsoft was ditching DX10 and going to DX7.

Hows that for well intentioned accidental errors :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I heard that Microsoft was ditching DX10 and going to DX7.
Hows that for well intentioned accidental errors
That reminds me of all the threads that start with "I heard <insert ridiculous statement without any links or anything to supporting documents, quotes, sources or anything> .... what do you guys think?"

They naturally follow with 5 or 6 people jumping on whatever bandwagon before someone clues in and asks "where did you hear that?". Sigh.

Geoff

VIP Member
That reminds me of all the threads that start with "I heard <insert ridiculous statement without any links or anything to supporting documents, quotes, sources or anything> .... what do you guys think?"

They naturally follow with 5 or 6 people jumping on whatever bandwagon before someone clues in and asks "where did you hear that?". Sigh.
haha, I read those all the time. I may look at it and think it's plausible, but I try not to go spreading it around as fact, as it most likely isn't true.

One of the best examples was the quote everyone put in their sig "98% of teenagers smoke, if you are part of the 2%..."