Disconnecting HDD through its power cord

caeyal

Hi,
this is a question I have been searching an answer for quite some time, without conclusive answer.
I would like to keep an internal HDD as a backup for my main one. The backup is done about once in 2 weeks. The problem is that the backup HDD is connected all the time and therefore its life is decreasing rapidly.
There is a solution called "Kingwin power switch HDD-PS6" that I bought for that. Basically, this product has a panel with buttons that let you choose which hdd is connect and is not connected, but I have never used it so far because when I opened the box I understood this product only disconnects the power cord of the HDD, but not the sata data cable, which is something I am afraid would damage my backup HDD instead of extending its life.

My goal is to extend my internal backup HDD life, without needing to physically open the computer case and disconnect the cables to the backup HDD.

1. Is disconnecting the power to an HDD, but keeping the data cable connected (that is the principle of this Kingwin product) can damage the HDD ? can it damage an SSD ?
  2. Does anyone have experience with the Kingwin power switch HDD-PS6 product ? is it reliable ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Keeping the sata data cable attached won't harm the drive. If you keep disconnecting and connecting cables eventually the connector will break off.

caeyal

Keeping the sata data cable attached won't harm the drive. If you keep disconnecting and connecting cables eventually the connector will break off.
Thanks for your answer. You are right, disconnecting and connecting cables eventually the connector will break off. What about this product quality and reliability ?

What do you think is more reliable for the HDD, keeping the HDD connected at all times, or using such a product to disconnect it when HDD is not in use ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just make sure you shut your system down before turning the switch off that powers off the drive. Then power the system on.