Discovering My Power Supply

jjsevdt

I recently purchased a new video card and realized it had a power connector for the PS to plug straight into it. It says it recomends a 350watt PS, but when I looked on the PS it doesn't have the sticker they usually do.

My computer as listed below is a Dell Dimension 8200 and the vieo card is a NVidia 7600 gs.

I just want to know if there's a software that will be able to tell me or any thing of the sort.

I just want to make sure it's going to run to its full potential on my computer.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Most computers like that usally come with 300 to 350 watt power supplies. The 7600 is a rather low power card, but you probably should look into upgrading. Even if you meet the wattage requirement, you still have the problem of amperage. I don't know the specifics for the 7600, but i think most people reccomend about 25-30amps on the 12v rail. Most cheap PSU's like what come in computers seem to have about 15-20 amps :p

leetkyle

The 7600 is a rather low power card, but you probably should look into upgrading

.. and what is your graphics card in your desktop? :p

I know that the 7600 runs a lot lower and doesn't actually require a 300W power supply to run. a 270-280 should be suffice I think.

My old DELL Dimension 3100c had a 280W power supply and it handled 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, fx5500 (woo!), network cards and more.