do i need a new pow supply?

uiucguy99

ok i have a 4 year old dell computer in a stock case with one REALLY noisy case fan. i've noticed that the fan seems ineffective and the computer gets pretty hot. so i've decided to buy a new case which comes with 3 80mm case fans.

i took apart my current setup and found as follows:
P3 800MHz
30gb hdd
128mb rdram
dvd-rom drive
cd-rw drive
zip100 drive
floppy drive
32mb nVidia graph card
pci 10/100 net card
sound card
2 integrated usb1 ports

all running on a 200W OEM power supply.

now, i plan to increase my ram by 256mb to 384, and there is a possibility of adding a usb 2.0 bus and 64mb/128mb video card in the distant future.

i'm pretty sure you're gonna tell me i need a new psu.... so my next question is... which of these 2 is better as far as reliability and quality.... i know one is 400w and one is 300w.... but i'm worried that the 400 is a piece of crap:

Ultra ATX Dual 80mm 400W PSU - 29.99

Ultra ATX 120mm 300W PSU - 29.99

is ultra a decent quality brand??? please help because the rebate on the 400W one only goes til tomorrow!!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The 400 is the better of the 2, it has a lot higher max load on each rail. I have no experience with Ultra but I heard they were an ok brand.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i'm pretty sure you're gonna tell me i need a new psu.... so my next question is... which of these 2 is better as far as reliability and quality.... i know one is 400w and one is 300w.... but i'm worried that the 400 is a piece of crap:
You dont need a new power supply, ive got more running on a 200W and 250W PSU ... granted they were nice Forttrons but still

I have no experience with Ultra but I heard they were an ok brand.
Very nice PSUs in general, surprisingly so for PSUs originally marketed based on bling-bling factor

krazykarl

if your going to grab a new PS, check your case first, and make sure it fits standard ATX PSU's ive known a lot of OEM(dell, hp, etc..) models to have thier own stupid non-standard PSU shapes/mounts.

ecomp401

it depends which video card you get, you can run the ram upgrade on the psu u have now, however the video card might need more power, i know that the geforce 3s require at least a 350w i think it is... however you would want to upgrade your psu if you are planning to upgrade beyond it. I would recomend that you buy all your parts first and if it wont boot with them in, then buy a new PSU, its not like its going to cost you any more...