Do I need all these programs/files running ?

positron

I was wondering if I need all these files/progarms running at startup. Checking task manager I see the following running. Running Win 7.

conhost.exe
CSRSS.exe
dwm.exe
Explorer.exe
integrator.exe
mbamtray.ese
memfiles.servi
nvcontainer.ese
nvidiaweb.
nvvsvc.exe
nvxdsync.ese
RAVCpl64.exe
rundll32.exe
sidebar.exe
taskeng.exe
taskhost.exe
taskmgr.ese
winlogon.exe

Thanks for your time and efforts.

pos

Darren

Staff member
There are several websites that do a breakdown on things you can ditch on Windows 10.

I was wondering if I need all these files/progarms running at startup. Checking task manager I see the following running. Running Win 7.

conhost.exe
CSRSS.exe
dwm.exe
Explorer.exe
integrator.exe
mbamtray.ese
memfiles.servi
nvcontainer.ese
nvidiaweb.
nvvsvc.exe
nvxdsync.ese
RAVCpl64.exe
rundll32.exe
sidebar.exe
taskeng.exe
taskhost.exe
taskmgr.ese
winlogon.exe

Thanks for your time and efforts.

pos

Unless you're actively having problems, don't just start knocking off processes on the hunch they could be causing a problem.

I don't know all those off the top of my head but many are basic windows functionalities, like file explorer (explorer.exe) and the login service (winlogon.exe). Punch each one into Google and you should get results for what they all are.

I'd suggest upgrading to Windows 10 when you can.

positron

Just seems like a lot of start up programs to be running. As one can see I am not very knowledgeable in the computer world.
I will check via google as to what each does.

Thanks again Gents. Much appreciated.

pos

Pupp

It's not hard to highlight a program you typed in, and just do a search for a process. At a casual glance, nothing stands out that isn't needed. I didn't check every program, but the majority are recognizable.

aldan

the only windows process or progam i have running on startup is windows security.everything works as it should.i would go into task manager and start disabling programs that start with windows.if you have a problem you can always re enable them.

positron

I did some checking and all seems to be in order now. Sometimes the hard drive yellow light just stayed lit and I could accomplish nothing for
up to 20 minutes. One cpu was reading up to 98% or higher. I was concerned that having all the programs at start up was the problem.
I got two cpu meters on desktop and all seems well except when Firefox was running for some hours.

Being uneducated with computers, I did some learning yesterday and found that I had 3 profiles "in" Firefox which could cause the problem. I was able to eliminate two profiles, using just the "default" profile. So far all seems ok. Haven't had the hard drives spinning away
last night nor this morning.

I will continue to monitor and see if any abnormality re-occurs today.

Thank you all for your time and efforts on my behalf. Sure appreciate it and if the problems continue, I will post again.

pos

Last edited: