Do I still have a trojan horse?? AHHHH

ilikewhoa

PLEASE READ TO THE END, I KNOW IT'S LONG BUT BEAR WITH ME? :D
Yesterday my spyware (Symantec Antivirus) detected a trojan horse named lib.dll. The warning popped up several more times afterwards while I was on Facebook and Meebo. It appears to pop up everytime I open a webpage. I immediately deep scanned my computer first with Ad- Aware SE Professional but nothing came up so I scanned again with Symantec AntiVirus and it detected three trojans: "lib.dll," "_helper.dll," and "lib.dll" again. They were not able to be quarantined or deleted so I attempted to clean it. I then checked its properties to determine whether my actions had taken effect and it stated that "it was left alone" and that "no action was taken." I decided to do some research but as I was on the pages, more notifications about the virus continued to pop up and soon I had around 12. I found that I could safe boot my computer and scan it so I did exactly that and was only able to delete and quarantine one virus: "LIB.DLL." After deleting that virus, I opened up a search in My Computer for all lib.dll files and scanned everyone of them. Nothing was detected so I visited several websites to see if the Symantec notification would pop up, but nothing did. However, I am still worried that my computer is still infected because I was unable to do anything to the others and now I worry that the others are still attacking my computer.
About two days before, I would have random pop ups but most of them I exited before anything could happen. After that, it started to take a while to load Google (which has never happened before) and it was taking a long amount of time to clear browser history despite having only visited about two or three sites. Also, whenever I tried to shut down, "IEXPLORER.EXE" would have an "end program" window out which has never happened before. Finally, yesterday after scanning, I attempted to system restore to all the check points before my computer started acting strangely. I was unable to do that and I appeared to be recieving false windows error messages in which it stated something along the lines of, "A serious threat on your computer has been detected and it has been logged." At first I thought it was a real message and clicked "don't send error report" but it continued to pop up.
HELP! Has anyone experienced something like this? I'm really worried because I am not an expert on computers and I'm not sure if what was happening days earlier before the trojan was detected is just my computer being retarded.
I have a Windows XP.
Oh yeah, it appears to be located in C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHARED\. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

wardhanster

well trojan viruse has two parts like client and a server... the server part is the virus which installs itself in your computer and then it sends your information over the web to its owner(i.e client) now that you have cleaned your system with whatever ... you should be on the safe side ... in case you want to confirm that too.... juz open task manager and see what your cpu usage is ..if it is hitting 100% or something simmilar with no application running you definately have some more viruses lying arround...
try "Torjan remover " tool to identify and get rid of them... or you can use avg home edition and select boot time scan option... after that restart your system and let the boot time scanner scan your system for torjans and viruses and take care of them properly..

ilikewhoa

Sorry it took so long for me to respond.
I downloaded the Malwarebytes Software and find that I have 28 items in quarantine. Should I delete them? Also, after running the scan, I was asked to reboot my computer and now I have a Windows Security Alert Message stating that I have no virus protection. Could it be that my anti-virus programs are clashing with each other? x.x
Oh yes, the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2699
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

8/26/2009 11:44:26 AM
mbam-log-2009-08-26 (11-44-26).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 100895
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 16
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 5
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\Program Files\Shared\lib.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\main.bho (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{8e3c68cd-f500-4a2a-8cb9-132bb38c3573} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{986a8ac1-ab4d-4f41-9068-4b01c0197867} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{afd4ad01-58c1-47db-a404-fbe00a6c5486} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{afd4ad01-58c1-47db-a404-fbe00a6c5486} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{afd4ad01-58c1-47db-a404-fbe00a6c5486} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\main.bho.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\qqiehelper.qqbrowserhelperobject (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\qqiehelper.qqbrowserhelperobject.1 (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar.tb (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar.tb.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyWaySA (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\1.bin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinBudget (Adware.AdMedia) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinBudget\bin (Adware.AdMedia) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Shared\lib.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinBudget\bin\matrix.dat (Adware.AdMedia) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Common\helper.sig (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ClickToFindandFixErrors_US.ico (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have another one besides Symantec? Remember, only have one antivirus program installed on your computer, however, you can have as many malware programs installed as you want.

ilikewhoa

Ahh, I didn't know that. I also have Ad-Aware SE Professional. Should I uninstall any of those?
Also, do you think I still have anything left on my computer I should worry about? Thanks so much.

ilikewhoa

What came up right after the scan:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:25:17 PM, on 8/26/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CamTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys EasyLink Advisor\LinksysAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/mywaybiz
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://bfc.myway.com/search/de_srchlft.html
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OSCD_Creator] c:\Dell\PreODM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Verizon_McciTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Verizon\McciTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VerizonServicepoint.exe] C:\Program Files\Verizon\Servicepoint\VerizonServicepoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VF0060 STISvc] RunDLL32.exe V0060Pin.dll,RunDLL32EP 513
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative WebCam Tray] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CamTray.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EasyLinkAdvisor] "C:\Program Files\Linksys EasyLink Advisor\LinksysAgent.exe" /startup
O4 - Startup: Tencent QQ.lnk = C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\QQ.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to QQ Customized Emoticons - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\AddEmotion.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to QQ Customized Panel - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\AddPanel.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to QQ Emotions - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\AddEmotion.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send picture by MMS - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\SendMMS.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send Picture with QQ MMS - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\SendMMS.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Upload to QQ Network Hard Disk - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\AddToNetDisk.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Ìí¼Óµ½QQ±íÇé - C:\Program Files\QQ\Africa2003\AddEmotion.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: QQ - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157b} - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\QQ.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Tencent QQ - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157b} - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\QQ.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DEDEB80D-FA35-45d9-9460-4983E5A8AFE6} - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\QQIEHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: QQìŲʹ¤¾ßÌõÉèÖà - {DEDEB80D-FA35-45d9-9460-4983E5A8AFE6} - C:\Program Files\Tencent\QQ\QQIEHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.doginhispen.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.whataboutadog.com
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - https://activatemydsl.verizon.net/sdcCommon/download/DSL/tgctlcm.cab
O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {221ff12f-de73-4b37-902c-3dabc41cdff2} - C:\WINDOWS\mark_32.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/katoki/xxxg-01w.jpg

--
End of file - 9163 bytes

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, you have some work to do.

1. Please do another scan with hijackthis and place a check next to these items and then click on fix checked at the bottom.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://bfc.myway.com/search/de_srchlft.html
O2 - BHO: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)

O15 - Trusted Zone: *.doginhispen.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.whataboutadog.com

Only fix these if you know you didn't put these in your trusted zone.

O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {221ff12f-de73-4b37-902c-3dabc41cdff2} - C:\WINDOWS\mark_32.dll Malwarebytes missed this I believe, use Superantispyware to make sure.

2. You are running a very old version of Java. Please go into add/remove programs and uninstall all older versions. They can be listed as Java Or J2SE runtime. When done uninstalling then go to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp and download the newest version and install it.

3. Download Superantispyware, update it and run it. I have a feeling it might catch something that Malwarebytes missed according to your log. http://www.superantispyware.com/

ilikewhoa

Okay, I was able to complete all of that and Superantispyware found Adware.Vundo Variant and Trojan.Agent/Gen-Small[Mark32]. Should I just delete it? I'm not very tech savvy.

ilikewhoa

YAAAAYYY! You don't believe there are anymore trojans or viruses, right?
Thank you so much :D
Oh and should I unistall or install anything as I still have a Windows Security Alert that says I don't have virus protection?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you go into security center and click on the virus part, what does it say for status? click the arrows to the right for status.

ilikewhoa

It says:
Symantec Antivirus reports that it is installed, but its status is unknown. Click recommendations for suggested actions that you can take.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i wouldn't worry about it. However, uninstalling and reinstalling Symantec would most likely correct the issue. If the alert bothers you, you can just change the setting where it won't tell you when there is a problem with your antivirus. On the left hand side, click where it says "change the way security center alerts me" and uncheck antivirus on the next page.