do we really need a virus scaner?

Cache

Byteman said:
I think some people here are a bit confused...

Firewalls never did block viruses until the virus writers figured out how to use network ports. They used to only be email and macro born. So in years past you could be perfectly fine without AV protection if you watched what you opened in email and Office documents. But this past few years has seen viruses take on a whole new capability, they not only use email, but ports and network share, IM protocols and anything else you may use to communicate one computer to another. SO, DO WE REALLY NEED A VIRUS SCANNER? If your on the net NOW DAYS... YES,... your just plain ignorant and/or naive if you don't.

Thank god!, someone finally talking sense. I was nearly tearing my hair out reading this thread. No offence to anyone but, some of you really have a lot to learn about spyware, adware, virii, worms and trojans.

The simple answer to the question "do you really need antivirus software" is yes, IF you want to reduce the chances of getting a virus on your computer you need an antivirus. Yes you will still have a virus get through but what do you expect, antivirus software is in no way intelligent.

The kind of people that dont have full antivirus/firewall protection are the very people that help virii become so widespread. Do us all a favour and get some protection because we are sick of getting virus infested e-mails every time a new virus uses your ignorance to turn your computer into its very own little 1mb, broadband connected SMTP server.