Dodgy Burner

I have a Toshiba Sattelite P850... and whenever I try to write onto my DVD -R Disks with it, the ISOs that I use (Linux Installations - Various) dont boot, or the files I add either dont show up on the disk once it has been ejected, or a message says an error occured and the disk may not be usable...do I have a dodgy burner?

However...when I try to write onto normal CD -R's...it seems to be ok, all the data stays on it.

Someone help as Mum said that if it is the burner, it is being sent back to the manufacturer as it is still under warranty, but I dont want to lose all my 100gb stuff.:(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, sounds like the burner. There are actually 2 eyes in the burner, 1 for cd's and 1 for dvd's. The one for dvd's is probably bad.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If your comfortable taking things apart. Take the case off the burner and clean the laser heads. Qtip and alcohol. If it still doesnt work, like johnb35 said, the DVD laser is probably going out.

Since it is under warranty, I am taking it back to PC World, when I got it, I paid them to make the recovery disks from the recovery partition as I couldn't be bothered, and the recovery disks when I run them a few months later froze and crashed randomly, and would never complete the recovery. They told me that they were burnt off of this laptop too...so if the burner was dodgy, that could explain it.

Maybe once it is fixed, I can fix my other two computers, as I completley messed them up yesterday, and I need to have a laptop with wifi so that I can use the network bridge to put the stuff back on the other two...I cant activate windows otherwise -.- so it was not a good day.

Cheers for the help anyway...like I say, it is under warranty, so its better to let them try and fix it, and if they screw up, I get a whole new laptop again, rather than me try to do it, void the warranty in the process and then if I do make things worse, I have to pay even more money to get it fixed.