Does anyone Undervolt?

GREENNYC

2700X with NZXT X52 aio. Sometimes the cooler fans get a little loud when watching 4K 60fps footage, whether on Youtube or local video file. My temps never seems to get to hot though.

Thinking maybe if I can undervolt, this might prevent the occasional high rpm fan noise. And I would like to do such without any performance drop.

Any suggestions?

Darren

Staff member
You can do what you describe but might be easier to adjust the fan curve a little bit so it has to get hotter before it kicks on. I did that to keep my idle/light usage quieter but still ramps up when hot.

GREENNYC

You can do what you describe but might be easier to adjust the fan curve a little bit so it has to get hotter before it kicks on. I did that to keep my idle/light usage quieter but still ramps up when hot.

Thanks, didn't even think about that. So use to having fans on default settings. I'll experiment with that first.

Darren

Staff member
Thanks, didn't even think about that. So use to having fans on default settings. I'll experiment with that first.
Yeah it's pretty easy. Usually find what speed your fans get noticeably loud, usually it'll be noticeable kind of all at once. Note the RPM for that speed and set your curve so it hits that speed at maybe 50-55oC depending on your comfort. Most light work won't hit that temp but it's still plenty cool.

For what it's worth I'm actually at a locked overvoltage and this solution still works for me where it's basically silent at idle/light usage.