Does my DVD drive work?

Dell Inspiron 6000 with XP.

Under "My Computer," it says that I have two DVD drives.

D:/ is a DVD-RW
G:/ is a DVD

However, from looking at the computer, it is clear that I only have one. It is a DVD-RW, which refers to drive D:.

When I put in a disc, such as "Encyclopedia Brittanica," I can see that something is loading because I hear the drive and there is a DVD icon that appears briefly next to the mouse pointer. But when I click on the drive under "My Computer," it does not show any files.

Also, I tried to use ImgBurn to put an .iso onto a DVD. I saw that it recognized the DVD drive and I could use ImgBurn to eject the disc, so I know the program recognized it. However, the program would try to recognize the disc and get all the way to 99%, then say that it could not recognize the medium.

Is there something wrong with the drive? Are there any other tests I can perform?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any cd emulation software installed such as alcohol 120 or similar? It will actually put another icon in my computer. Its possible the drive is just bad, try other cd/dvd's.

I will change the topic of this to: why won't this .iso file burn to this DVD-R using ImgBurn?

I have found more info. It says that...

D:/ is DVD+-RW (ATA)
G:/ is MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM

So, I'm assuming that D:/ is the one I want to be burning to. What is that MagicISO thing that is drive G:/? Could that help me in any way?

I have an .iso file called X17-24209.iso that the program recognizes. It has the destination as the D:/ drive.

When I load the disc, it says...

"Device Not Ready (Logical Unit is in process of becoming ready - 99%)"

Then, it says "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)"

The disc is a Memorex DVD-R 4.7GB.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the drive is bad. You have magic iso software installed which gives you the virtual dvd drive. Try uninstalling magic iso and see if you get the other drive working again.

uninstall

Sounds like the drive is bad. You have magic iso software installed which gives you the virtual dvd drive. Try uninstalling magic iso and see if you get the other drive working again.

I uninstalled the MagicISO drive under Device Manager by right-clicking and saying "uninstall." It no longer shows up.

Is that all I have to do, or do I need to remove drivers or registry entries or something like that?

That has been done. Still no luck getting it to burn the .iso file.

The drive is not completely broken because I can see lights turn on on it when I put a disc in. Also, the mouse cursor shows a symbol of a CD/DVD next to the pointer, so the drive still works on some level.

But it just doesn't show any files when I put in the discs and I have tried several.

Is there any way to reinstall the drivers, or uninstall the whole thing and then reinstall it, so I don't have to give up just yet and get a new one?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into device manager, right click on the dvd drive and click on uninstall, then reboot the system and see. You can also put in a known good bootable cd and restart the system to see if the cd will boot.

I put in a boot CD and restarted it. It seemed like it didn't recognize it, and wasn't able to boot from this CD, even when I pressed F12 and select "Boot from CD/DVD."

However, when i put a disc in, the lights on the drive go on and turn green, so the drive is obviously not completely broken.

Is there anything I can do to try to fix this drive?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Not worth trying to fix it. The lens is probably bad. Just buy a replacement.