Don't know which file to update my BIOS...

cdfreelancer

Since having a new processor fitted, it has come to my attention that I need to update my BIOS.

I know that my mobo is a K7S5A but I don't know which version it is.

This website provides a dropdown list that displays the mobos made by elite group and the the various versions of each type. I have had a look at my mobo and its documentation and can't find any information more specific than it simply being a K7S5A. The only other information that I've managed to discern is that the release date (Displayed on the first screen when I start my puter) is 01/12/2002.

Does anyone know what file I need to use to update my BIOS?

Thanks in advance!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
if there is nothing more than K7S5A it is probably the 1.x but as long as your computer starts up there is no need for a bios update.
Only the K7S5APro has any major variations from the other 2. In fact, I don't see anything different between the 1 and 3 revisions but I didn't go through it really carefully so I may have missed something

cdfreelancer

Aaaaargh! I just updated my BIOS an I think I used the wrong .rom file. When I started up just after rebooting it said 'athlon 1800+' which is wrong because my processor is a 2400+.

I'm sure I've used the wrong file. Is there any way to rectify this situation?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
not unless your motherboard came with a bios restore, which unless I'm mistaken only Asus 'CrashFreeBios' boards do. You can try looking for your original one, it may be downloadable from ECS

Picklee

ussually if you incorrectly flash the BIOS the first time, thats it. If you flashed the BIOS correctly then you should be able to reflash it as long as you do it right...

4W4K3

VIP Member
cdfreelancer said:
Aaaaargh! I just updated my BIOS an I think I used the wrong .rom file. When I started up just after rebooting it said 'athlon 1800+' which is wrong because my processor is a 2400+.

I'm sure I've used the wrong file. Is there any way to rectify this situation?

Those are defaults that your motherboard gives right after a BIOS Flash. You need to go into BIOS and enter in your 2400+ settings. The same thing happens to my gf's 2400+ after she flashes her BIOS, it will default to "fail safe defaults" which will set it to 1800+ speeds, therefore BIOS says it is an 1800+. I'm pretty sure you flashed it fine, you just need to go in there and set it to normal settings stead of fail safe ones.

cdfreelancer

The file that I used to flash my BIOS was the one at the bottom of this webpage. As you can see it says 'AMI® BIOS. Support AMD Duron CPU 1400,1600,1800' which may explain why it says 1800+ when my puter reboots.

I have a hunch that the file I should be using is 2nd from bottom on this page. It's the only one I can find on the ecs website that mentions support for athlons: 'AMI® BIOS. Support AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 2600+ CPU'.

Should I just go ahead and flash my BIOS again using that file?

4W4K3

VIP Member
cdfreelancer said:
The file that I used to flash my BIOS was the one at the bottom of this webpage. As you can see it says 'AMI® BIOS. Support AMD Duron CPU 1400,1600,1800' which may explain why it says 1800+ when my puter reboots.

I have a hunch that the file I should be using is 2nd from bottom on this page. It's the only one I can find on the ecs website that mentions support for athlons: 'AMI® BIOS. Support AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 2600+ CPU'.

Should I just go ahead and flash my BIOS again using that file?

yah get the supported one, but i wouldn't be surprised if it still boots as a 1800+ as it is set to boot first on defaults until you go in and set it manually.

cdfreelancer

OK I downloaded the file and uzipped it and it has provided me with 2 files. One says "with LAN" and the other says "without LAN". Which should I use?

4W4K3

VIP Member
cdfreelancer said:
OK I downloaded the file and uzipped it and it has provided me with 2 files. One says "with LAN" and the other says "without LAN". Which should I use?

i'm guessing thats LAN support. Does your mobo have a LAN por t in the back? If so i would choose "wit LAN". I might be wrong about that though...LAN could stand for something else.

cdfreelancer

I would imagine that it's pretty standard for PCs to have a LAN port in the back. I guess that the K7S5A mobo would have one but I'm not sure.

Do you think it would be unwise to flash my BIOS with the 'with LAN' .rom file even though I'm not sure?

And also I would like to know if it's wise to attempt to flash my BIOS with the new file considering that I did so only a few days ago but with the wrong file? What's the worst that could happen?

cdfreelancer

I've also just noticed that my PC didn't search for boot record from the floppy when I reboot. It did a few days ago. What's going on?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a look at my mobo and its documentation and can't find any information more specific than it simply being a K7S5A. The only other information that I've managed to discern is that the release date (Displayed on the first screen when I start my puter) is 01/12/2002.
Check the BIOS version via CPUz

When I started up just after rebooting it said 'athlon 1800+' which is wrong because my processor is a 2400+.
Check your BIOS. When you flash it automatically downclocks everything

which unless I'm mistaken only Asus 'CrashFreeBios' boards do
They come on other boards too (not the ECS on here though), usually marketed as other names though

Can't I just get find the correct BIOS upgrade and go through the BIOS flashing process again?
Yes but check that the clock in the BIOS is set rught

I would imagine that it's pretty standard for PCs to have a LAN port in the back. I guess that the K7S5A mobo would have one but I'm not sure.
Look! :)

I've also just noticed that my PC didn't search for boot record from the floppy when I reboot. It did a few days ago. What's going on?
Different boot settings