doom 3 running slow

tboski123

i played doom 3 using the fps guide in the upper right hand corner and i am confused. when the game first starts, it is between the 50-70 fps range, but it cycles between these numbers very fast. also, when i open doors or enemies pop out, the fps can drop to <10 fps. here are my specs. amd 2400+ xp, 512 mb ram pc2700, and x800 pro 256mb card. help me. also, i have not oc'd anything because i don't know how. thanks!

Greg J.

VIP Member
Try This !!!!!!!!!!

Since you are playing Doom 3 with only 512MB of RAM, get MORE RAM,
(another 512MB + old one = 1 GB RAM. Doom 3 can take considerable memory !!! So, buy another 512 and kick ass !!!! :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So this is the goddamn thread you've been ****in harrasing me over! :mad: Never a good idea to harass an admin.

In either case, note that the game is capped at 60fps so if it says 70fps something is seriously wrong. Only in benchmarking does it uncap -- straight from the mouth of Mr. Carmack.

tboski123

do you think it is only a ram issue? i want to be sure. i mean, you don't think it's my processor do you? hope not. also,praetor, even when it would jump to over 60 fps, it comes right back as if it were restricted to 60, i mean we are talking micro seconds that this thing jumps back and forth. maybe its because i have the card set on overdrive mode in the catalyst menu.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
do you think it is only a ram issue? I want to be sure. I mean, you don't think it's my processor do you?
There's no "problem" as the X800 is enough to play the game. If you want to "find" a problem, look to your CPU and RAM. (CPU because you've got 256K L2, RAM because you've not OCd it and/or you've not got enough for raw performance). Note however that your fps will not drop by 50fps just because of "one thing"

even when it would jump to over 60 fps, it comes right back as if it were restricted to 60, I mean we are talking micro seconds that this thing jumps back and forth. maybe its because I have the card set on overdrive mode in the catalyst menu.
1. If its microseconds then it is quite possible that you are misreading it considering microseconds are 1/1000s of a second and most people only have the ability to track targets (or things) within a 2ms scope.

2. The video engine is capped at 60fps -- it will not generate any more frames than that per second. When you read benchmarks etc then you will see numkbers >60 however (a) those are redundant frames and (b) in benchmarking mode the fps is uncapped (even tho its redundant)

3. What game settings are you running at ... 60fps is not expected for an X800XT let alone the baseline X800Pro model.

Is tboski123 a nut case? OMG sorry.
LOL perhaps not but the next person who PMs me for help is gonna get terminated :D

tboski123

hey, i just joined up yesterday and your post was one of the first ones that i saw. i guess i thought the pm was there for a reason. guess not! i didn't it would be such a big deal . nevertheless, thank you for the info. i saw your oc thread and i was wondering if that would be something for me to try. i have never went into the bios menu before. i think my mobo is like yours except it's -la instead of -x. with that multiplier seting, what increments do you go up and at what point do you have to worry about temp? does it involve getting more case fans or cpu fan? thanks!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
hey, i just joined up yesterday and your post was one of the first ones that i saw. i guess i thought the pm was there for a reason. guess not! i didn't it would be such a big deal . nevertheless, thank you for the info.
LOl dont sweat it -- i just get slightly ticked when peeps i barely know just start asking me questions -- it makes a lot more sense if you consider i process severl hundred posts a day.

i saw your oc thread and i was wondering if that would be something for me to try. i have never went into the bios menu before. i think my mobo is like yours except it's -la instead of -x. with that multiplier seting, what increments do you go up and at what point do you have to worry about temp? does it involve getting more case fans or cpu fan?
I dont mind answering, just make a post in the appropriate section/topic and ill get to it eventually (in an effort to keep the forum clean) :)