Double Checking Compatibility

mikey4865

New Member
So I was bored tonight and couldn't sleep so I thought I would build myself a new computer. If anyone has some time on their hands could you just double check all these components and let me know if they are all compatible. (Never built a computer from scratch before.)

(Mobo) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3573170&CatId=2051
(CPU) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart
(RAM) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4631346&CatId=2261
(VIDEO CARD) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4111742&CatId=3585 (Later going to try and buy another to dual)
(HARD DRIVE) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4762445&CatId=2459
(PSU)http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3438607&CatId=2036
(COMPUTER Case) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4631382&Sku=C283-1223

I do believe that they should all be compatible, if so my other questions are do you think it will all fit in the case and should I get increased ventilation and cooling.
 
Doesn't look too bad. Are you using that HDD as an OS drive? If so, don't. Green drives suck for OS drives.

You could save say $15 on a the case and get a CM690 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3198497&CatId=1842) which is still an AWESOME case (I have one.) and get something like this as an OS drive http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4837457&CatId=2458

Apart from that, is good. Good luck. If you have any more questions, just ask.
 
That case doesn't look too bad. Though, the CM690 is a much better choice if you can afford it. The Apevia only has 3 fan slots whereas the CM690 has at least 7 (1 front, 2 top, 1 rear, 1 bottom, 2 side) + modded ones eg. drive bays etc. From what I've heard, these (NZXT Apollo) aren't too bad either. But if it were me, I'd be definitely sticking with a CM690.
 
Sounds great i'll start checking it out, going to check out some computer shows and expo's to find some parts cheaper there. Also I have to figure out this memory problem i'm having with my current desktop
 
EDIT: I can improve that build...gimme a sec and I'll edit it in.

Motherboard- MSI H55M-P31
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130257

CPU- Core i3 530 (helluva lot faster)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222

RAM- G-skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 (more expensive, but literally twice as fast)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

GPU- Gigabyte Radeon HD4670 (cheaper and much better)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125277

Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 500GB (same series as Orbitron's, but twice as big and much faster)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

PSU- Corsair 650W...same as yours, but it's cheaper at newegg and has free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=Corsair TX650W

For the case case, the NZXT Gamma and Beta EVO are about as good as it gets for under $50.
Gamma
Beta EVO
Both have excellent cooling and build quality...not cheapos at all. The Gamma is actually the same as the M59 and Lexa S, internally. The Beta EVO is very similar. NZXT generally has the best cases in whatever price range they're in. (These are $40/$46 after rebates)
Zipzoomfly is usually the best place to get cases, btw. They have similar prices to newegg and free shipping on everything.

Your original build comes out to $625, and is down to $570 after the hard drive and case swap. Mine will be $549 with the Beta, or $555 with the Gamma.

edit: plus $14.50 shipping...so $564/570. It's almost exactly the same price, but buttloads better.
 
Last edited:
Don't get LGA 775, get the new LGA1156.
Just get what Drenlin suggested.
Case - CM HAF 922 is good. But it is slight expensive.
PSU - I don't really think you would need a 650W. A 550W will do.
Don't forget your dvd burner.
And get some thermal compound if you don't have any.
 
Sweet thanks everyone, I was debating whether or not I should just buy new RAM for my current Dell Dimension 4600 (Ancient lol), and now i'm thinking im going to go to a computer show and have them build me a computer, they give a nice discount if you have them build your whole computer.
 
The only thing I saw at a quick glance at your post Drenlin was that I was looking to have an SLI Ready Mobo, so I had the opportunity to upgrade it even more later on. Is it worth it or are dual video cards over rated?
 
Another question, I see that the mobo is Micro ATX, is that for a cheaper price? Is there a huge difference from ATX to mATX
 
The only difference between ATX and mATX is the size. Micro boards have 3 less slots. Other than that, it's all the same. Most people don't even use the extra 3 slots. :/
And yes, it was for the price. That is a good board, though.

The only H55/H57 board on newegg that can even do x8/x8 is $200...the second slot on the rest only runs at x4.

There is a $140 Gigabyte P55 that can do x8/x8, but you wouldn't be able to use the i3's integrated GPU as a backup. Here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16813128404
 
Last edited:
^ I think so...I've never heard of it before.

Cool thanks for the info, and what would I need to look for if I wanted to have dual LCD monitors

Most any newer GPU can do duals. The 4670 has HDMI, D-SUB, and DVI. If you have two monitors, chances are at least one of them will support two of those, so you're good. If not, adapters are cheap. :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top